So much for absolute reliability!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Soulman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Do you remember the poll that asked about what you felt like was the most reliable handgun right out of the box? The poll that asked that if you had to pick a gun off a shelf at a shop and count on it to work, which would it be? Without dredging that poll up, I have to believe that Glock was voted among, if not the, most likely to be totally reliable out of the box.

Fast forward to today, I bought another G23 from H&H this afternoon. It's a factory new, bone stock, third generation Glock 23. I decided to put a quick 100 rounds through it while I was there, so I bought a couple of boxes of Winchester White Box in a 180gr FMJ flavor and headed to my assigned lane. During the very first magazine fired, at approximately the four or five round mark, I experienced a double feed. The gun was brand new, I was shooting ammo of questionable quality, and I had not bothered to clean it. My confidence in the gun is not in question and I'm not the least bit worried about it. I actually giggled and remembered that poll as I cleared the malfunction and kept firing. In one hundred rounds fired, that was the only malfunction. Granted, in around 6,000 rounds through my G22, it has never failed to function. Still, malfunctions do happen and I kept stacking the deck towards a malfunction by shooting cheap ammo through a pistol that had never been cleaned, much less broken in. I will clean it thoroughly tonight and after every other time I shoot it, and I expect that it will go thousands of rounds before the next failure.

I just thought it was funny that everyone's favorite pistol for reliability did not, in fact, work right out of the box.

For the record, I voted Beretta 92FS/M9 in the poll.

Rob

Yup, there's always a chance of something like that happening with any mechanical device. I too would go with a Beretta 92FS/M9, not the Taurus copy though.

Beercules

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
As a highly decorated 9-star internet commando I'm not buying this about a Glock. Everyone on teh internets knows they run like sewing machines up until the point they explode.

You have misidentified your double feed..., I proffer that it was actually a stovepipe due to a weak wrist and school girl flinch. This must be particularly embarrassing due to the infantile recoil of that particular load.

RedTape

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Out of my Glocks, Sigs and HKs, my G19 and 26 are the only ones I've had jam. Twice with the 19 and once with the 26. All were with WWB, so I'm blaming light ammo. It doesn't really bother me, all machines will fail. Train for malfunctions!

Latest posts

Top Bottom