Some Bad News for Wind Energy Advocates

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

turkeyrun

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Anyone remember the home wind mill, generators? That was the solve all, just a few years ago, now the ones still standing are all bird roost!

I thought those actually had a chance of becoming viable.

There is a guy, south of Lawton, has one on his barn. It is constantly turning. Would like to know more on his set up.

cowadle

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Anyone remember the home wind mill, generators? That was the solve all, just a few years ago, now the ones still standing are all bird roost!
I used to use the small 900 watt wind turbines to pump water with. i still have a couple of them but the china solar panels are cheaper per watt now so when and if the go bad i will replace with a panel.

cowadle

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score

There is a guy, south of Lawton, has one on his barn. It is constantly turning. Would like to know more on his set up.
the bergy or the old jacobs are viable today and more than the big commercial turbines but you have to give away your excess power generated by law. and the interconnect agreement sucks. big company saw to that. in fact there was a study that if anyone who had the space could put in a 10 kw turbine and have a decent interconnect agreement that the small wind turbines would accumulative out produce the big wind farms and supply power locally. but you know who lobby took care of that for the big subsidy harvesters.

Raido Free America

Radio Free America
Special Hen
Reaction score

I checked into them back 30 odd year ago, and even talked to an electrical engineer at work. He told me to add up the cost of buying, and installing this wind mill generator, add the maintance cost, for the life of the equipment, insurance cost to insure it against storm damage, the divide that total estimated cost, by the expected life of the equipment, and it it was less than my electric bill, go for it! I decided this was not for me, when looked at that way!

cowadle

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I checked into them back 30 odd year ago, and even talked to an electrical engineer at work. He told me to add up the cost of buying, and installing this wind mill generator, add the maintance cost, for the life of the equipment, insurance cost to insure it against storm damage, the divide that total estimated cost, by the expected life of the equipment, and it it was less than my electric bill, go for it! I decided this was not for me, when looked at that way!
yep... unless you can sell your surplus it is a no go. stupid regulations and another benefit of small wind is that there would no need to add all the big transmission lines and stuff. the existing infrastructure would have been sufficient. it aint about saving the environment

cowadle

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
a 10,000 watt turbine would produce an excess of electricity than you use. if the interconnect agreements weren't written so that you give this excess away to the utility company the turbine would pay for itself in a few years and then it would actually pay you. if you have the wind recourse to run the turbine. not a problem for most of oklahoma

cowadle

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
you can build a stand alone system that makes all the power you need and then you don't need the utility company any more. but you need a battery to store the excess power to smooth things out. now with the electric cars i understand that thebattery might be more affordable than it used to be

Latest posts

Top Bottom