Some what of a prepper

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Yarddog405

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Ok so I'm some what a prepper in a few ways, probably more preppered than your average guy. I'm some what new to it though, so what are some items that are good to keep on hand? I have a small medical/survival kit and keep flares and glow sticks on hand.

Lurker66

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
It depends on what your "prepping" for. Id prep for semi short term things like natural events, tornados, ice storms, wildfires, power outages and loss of water. Once ya got a handle on that stuf, then start prepping for shtf, zombies and other "cool" stuff.

Start small...get 2 weeks supply of everything you need to live on. Plan on no electric/water/gas. Water, food, shelter and a way to cook it. Build on that.

SomeCallMeMom

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I agree, it depends on the event you are prepping. My gateway into prepping was natural disasters like the all to common tornados. Supplies to survive in case of power outages... Then I added a go bag in the event we had to leave home (72 hrs worth of food, water, clothes, toiletries, medical supplies, dog food, a wool blanket and a small tent). Next, I made digital copies of important documents (past taxes, marriage license, passport, drivers licenses, birth certs, etc.) & put it on a flash drive in case a tornado uprooted my safe & plunked it down in a lake. Now I'm back to basics & working on long-term storage of food and water and an array of other "fun" things to make me more self-sufficient.

BadgeBunny

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
First of all, welcome to OSA! Second of all, please feel free to post any questions/neat tips, tricks you come across even if you think we've seen them before ...

Third ... The folks above me are right ... start small and work your way up ... This is what I did when I first started out (let me state, for the record, I am the Queen of List-Making :teehee:)

1. Gathered up all the important papers I had scattered everywhere and put them in a central, portable, waterproof file container. Things like birth certificates, passports, copies of driver's licenses, insurance policies, thumb drive with home inventories on it (like serial numbers of all the guns we own for one), credit card numbers and companies, numbers to contact them, passwords, etc.

2. Decided what were the most likely things I would need preps for: A) power outages -- have lasted as long as a week here; B) ice storms -- COLD!!!; C) tornadoes.

3. Decided what I needed to be comfortable (and not have to leave the house) for those three things and started to work ... This included foods that don't need to be cooked, ways to live in our home without conventional power -- heat, cooking, cleaning, lighting, etc.

Now that I have those three things out of the way ... I've moved on ... to a more self-sufficient type lifestyle ... I have small livestock and a garden. Both are ever expanding (as much as a suburban backyard can accomodate anyway) ...

The point is you can do as little or as much as you like. Anyway you like. Prepping is truly unique and different to each and every one of us, yet the basics remain the same ...

And have fun!! If it isn't fun, you aren't gonna do it! :D

eyecyou

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
One rule that's helped me out when buyin new prepping items is A) no cord attatched, and B) if it must have power make sure its AAA's they're small, light, inexpensive and most everything will run on em

Latest posts

Top Bottom