Somebody help me on this bowhunting thing.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I had the TV on a new program called North Woods Law.

Its about GW's in the NE.

First time to see this, and one of the GW's responded to a call of a lost deer by a bow hunter.

The hunter said he shot the deer at 10 yds, and it ran away, and he couldn't find it. The GW tells him that 10 yds is too close to shoot a deer with a bow. The arrow needs more distance to develop its kentic energy, hence the wounded deer.

My knowledge of bullet ballistics is more refined than arrow kenitics.

When a bullet leaves the barrel, it instantly starts to loose velocity/kenetic energy.

What makes an arrow different? The GW In question says an arrow needs 20-30 yards to develop its speeds.

I'm always willing to learn something different, but this is a new one on me.

:pms2:

aviator41

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Yeah, I do to. It's not kinetic energy that it needs to mysteriously gather from thin air, it's the stabilization that the arrow gains by added yardage.

when the arrow leaves the bow, it wobbles. As it travels, this wobbling settles down some and the arrow spends less energy wobbling and more energy penetrating it's intended target. Correctly set up Arrows minimize this, but there is always some level of instability to be overcome.

Sticky Stokes

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I call complete BS as well, forget the speed and stabilization thing.. I'm taking a 10 yard shot over a 30 yard shot any day of the week....., my arrows and bow shoot the same, between 10 and 25 yards or so, the hunter obviously made a less than perfect shot, hit high or low, or whatever, but 30 yards to gain speed or to stabilize? Psssshhhhhh!
:laugh6:

SMS

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Just like cops aren't automatically gun guys...neither are game wardens gun or bow guys. Stick a camera in their face and all kinds of legends/myths are likely to come out.

Latest posts

Top Bottom