Sonic cleaning solution

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RickN

Eye Bleach Salesman
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
OK guys, what solution do you use in your ultrasonic cleaners?

So far I am using the Hornady solution in my Hornady ultrasonic but I have heard they are others that are more cost effective and even some whipped up home brews. Since I am not doing brass to make money but more as a hobby and exercise program I would like to find something a little cheaper then $24 a quart.

OKCHunter

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
OK guys, what solution do you use in your ultrasonic cleaners?

So far I am using the Hornady solution in my Hornady ultrasonic but I have heard they are others that are more cost effective and even some whipped up home brews. Since I am not doing brass to make money but more as a hobby and exercise program I would like to find something a little cheaper then $24 a quart.

I'm using Hornady as well but thought I might try these "home brews":

http://www.6mmbr.com/ultrasonic.html

RickN

Eye Bleach Salesman
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
OK just an update for anyone interested.

I have been trying the home brew sonic cleaning solutions and while they work decent, they are not that good. On once fired brass it gets them clean easily but does change the color some. On some old really tarnished brass it fails pretty badly.

I will be going back to the Hornady solution once I use up what I have of the home brew.

bsdubois00

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I dont wanna thread jack but Rick - how do you like that Sonic Cleaner??? I've been looking at getting one since I will be cleaning and reloading INSIDE - I figured this is the cleanest way to do it

RickN

Eye Bleach Salesman
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I really like mine. I have the Hornady and one most brass three 480 sec cycles gets it very clean. I really dirty I may have to use 6 cycles but not more. I skip the distilled water most recommend but rinse very well with hot tap water. Most times the brass is very clean inside and out. I will post a few pics of some in a bit.

For brass I am going to trade or sell I toss it in my tumbler for a bit to give it a polish.

OKCHunter

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
OK just an update for anyone interested.

I have been trying the home brew sonic cleaning solutions and while they work decent, they are not that good. On once fired brass it gets them clean easily but does change the color some. On some old really tarnished brass it fails pretty badly.

I will be going back to the Hornady solution once I use up what I have of the home brew.

Thanks for the update. Based on your results I think I'll just stick with the Hornady solution as well. I've been re-using the solution 2 or 3 times (cleaning 25-50 casings at a time) before tossing it out. I could probably get more re-use if I tried.

RickN

Eye Bleach Salesman
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
So you just use the Hornady liquid right?

So if it is brass you plan to reload - after 3 cycles it is clean enough for you to reload?

Unless it is really dirty yes.

I use 1 tablespoon of Hornady solution to 3 cups of hot water. Run the 3 or 6 cycles. Then I lift the whole basket into a bucket of clean hot water. Then rinse under running hot water while I change the water in the bucket. Dip again in the bucket, then again under running water, then to a stainer. I use old cartridge box plastic dividers to let them air dry over night.

I need to warn you guys my photo skills suck big time, but these photos are of some 40,243, and 308 brass I will be trading. While the photos are bad and do not do the brass justice, you can see they are clean inside and out.

[Broken External Image]

[Broken External Image]

If anyone wants to come by some evening, let me know and we can set up a time for me to show you how I do it. I have some pretty grungy old range pickup brass I can demo on.

Latest posts

Top Bottom