Spinning reel problem - how to fix?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I bought four identical small spinning combos with 4 lb test, a year or so back at Academy when they were on super sale, like $12 each. Idea being dedicated trout poles for me and kids.

They looked really good, but now I see why these were on sale. These reels are super-difficult on the initial crank to make them pop the bale over before you start reeling. The nephews can't even get them started, and I have to use leverage by pushing on the handle with a thumb, while pulling with fingers on the center of the crank. PITA. They reel fine and dandy after the bale pops over though, and otherwise function fine.

So, where exactly should I put some lube to try to get it loosened up? What kind of lube would be best? Any other fixes than lube? Throw away and start over? I wouldn't be out too much.

Thanks.

deerwhacker444

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Can you manually flip the bail back over after casting...? I'm not sure, but I don't think the crank has to be turned for the bail to flip back over.

Not being a SmartA**, but that will work on my Saltwater reels.

Is it a poor mechanical advantage design, or does it just need to be lubed up and broken in..?

JRSherman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
A lot of it will depend on the reel design itself, but I'll give it a shot. I had a little cheap spinning reel(that I actually got for free when someone threw it away) and it had the same trouble yours did, even though it was well used. I took the bail and line assembly apart piece by piece, cleaned out all the friction areas, and applied new grease on all those areas and it did wonders.

I will agree with DW though, about manually flipping it back over. I got in the habit of doing that anyway trout fishing, as once you get practiced doing it, it becomes automatic, and if one hits while you're fumbling with the reel trying to pop the bail you might lose him.

FlyGuyGSP

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I personally have always flipped the bail manually on all my spinning rods, just prefer to do it that way. You might try that and see if you don't find it too bothersome, may take a trip or two to get used to but it's become second nature for me. I'd hate to see good reels go to waste.

Muleman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Ditto on manually flipping the bail. Ya just gotta get in the habit. It will make your reels last a lot longer, even an inexpensive one.

LBnM

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Another benefit of manually closing the reel is that it doesn't twist your line as much. In fact, many manufacturers recommend manually closing the reel.

Reaction score
Oh yeah, I've been manually flipping, correct. That way works fine. It'd just be nice to work the way designed. I will try taking it apart and lubing it - maybe some lithium grease... thanks all!

Another benefit of manually closing the reel is that it doesn't twist your line as much. In fact, many manufacturers recommend manually closing the reel.

Ahhh, thank you.

kdlong

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
made full circle back in the kiamichi mountains in
oil where the bail pivits by the spool. make sure no line has gotten between the bail and spool. do not use a heavy grease as it will cause it to stick. i use oil from zebco or shimano. if there is a lot of dirt or grim put the reel under running water and wash out. there is some small spring under the bail that is a pita to put back in. i work on reels and build rods as a hobby. i have some parts and pieces around.

Latest posts

Top Bottom