Spoonbill/paddlefish run????

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The state doesn't actually raise them. However the federal hatchery at Tishomingo does raise and stock them. The largest part of the stocking have been in lake Texhoma for several years now.

The fishery at Grand lake is the largest paddle fish fishery in the world. Thus the reason that Oklahoma has an open season on them, unlike many other states.

Good info! thanks for getting it correct.:D

goosedestroyer

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Kaw tailwater or Webber Fall nearby Gore should be good right now.. We used to go snagging at Kaw or Webber Fall on the last weekend of February till about middle of April. And we usually go to Miami, above Twin Bridge, about the first or second week of April.

Two years ago, my wife and I went snagging at Kaw tailwater the first weekend of March, we snagged four paddlefish that weighted from 34 to 59 pound and on the same weekend, my buddy went to Webber Fall with some of his friends, they managed to snag about ten paddlefish within few hours...

I didn't get to go snagging last year due to my graduation from school, studied for my license test, and became a full time work from my intership job which was during the peak time of paddlefish run. So I am itch to ready to go snag a monster one soon! Looking forward to go Kaw tailwater or Webber Fall this weekend! I know there is huge paddlefish at there! Also I just catch and release from now and on.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
We need more water in the Arkansas river below Kaw. There are just minimal flows right now. Get a good rain up north, where they have to release extra water, and the snagging really picks up.

crg1372

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
There is also the red river on the ok/tx border. I do pretty good there. Probably going to give it a shot in the next few weeks, after some crappie fishing though.

I was going to point out the Red River. I know alot of anglers snag for them there and have pretty good luck. I've never tried for them. I'm sure I'm missing out too. Didn't know they had been stocking them in Texoma though.

Good article I found about the restocking efforts. Its a few years old but has some good info. Had no clue the could reach 20ft. in length.

http://sports.espn.go.com/outdoors/bassmaster/news/story?page=b_fea_bt_0405_endangered_native

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Good article I found about the restocking efforts. Its a few years old but has some good info. Had no clue the could reach 20ft. in length.

I've stood next to the 108 pounder caught at Kaw. The guy had to stand in a boat on a trailer to hold the whole fish off the ground. There was a pic posted in the wildlife department web site.

CHenry

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Its actually Spring River and its about 8 miles west on highway 10. Right after the bridge crossing, you can turn and drive down to an access point and there used to be a boat ramp there. Very nice water...

Last edited:

Latest posts

Top Bottom