Springfield Trapdoor 45-70

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DavidMcmillan

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
A friend of mine called me last night about his rifle. He wants to sell it, but has no idea what it might be worth, and I don't know much more than he does. I'm going to go look at it in a couple of days. What things should I be looking for?

DavidMcmillan

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I'm not really interested in value. I have looked at gunbroker completed listings. I'm more interested in knowing what characteristics, markings, etc. I still haven't had a chance to stop by his home to see it, so i know virtuall nothing at this time to tell him.

mr ed

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Thats like asking about 1911's or garands
First if its a "carbine" its been chopped and ramrod hole plugged.
99.9% are not factory
By serial # you can figure out date of birth and variation.
This will also help determine if breech block, sights, etc are correct or if its a parts gun.
Bannermans put thousands together in the 40's-50's and palmed them off to collectors.

DavidMcmillan

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Thank you! That's the kind of pointers I was hoping to hear. I want to be able to point my friend in a direction that will help him in his decisions about disposing of this. We both have been out of town, so i haven't had a chance to see it yet. Thanks again!

Latest posts

Top Bottom