Anyone know anything about Nissans?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RickN

Eye Bleach Salesman
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Checking out used cars on Facebook to get an idea of what is available in our price range. Lots of 2008 - 2012 Nissans. Anyone had one or know anything about their reliability, cost of ownership?

Going to have to look for something cheap because the old Rav4 will not be worth much to insurance and wife says I can not sell the few guns I have left. I had a Datsun back in the day and it was a good little truck but I heard they went downhill a bit after the name change.

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Are you sure that Rav 4 is not fixable.
How fast was she going when she hit the wall? Did it ruin the radiator etc.
I love my Pontiac Vibe.
It is a Toyota Matrix.
Ours have the 1.8 liter engine and that is what is in the Corolla I drive also.
379,000 miles so far.
When Nissan went away from the inline 6 I gave up on them.
NO V6 stuff anything you look at google that vehicle and after the name and year type in transmission issues or just issues.

NO CVT transmissions allowed in my yard.
NO V6 either unless it is a Buick with a Turbo from the 80's

foghorn918

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Had a 2013 Nissan Altima for 10 years. Only mechanical problem was A/C stopped cooling, got a $25 part from Amazon after watching a youtube video about the issue, took it to local mechanic and A/C was fixed.
Son-in-law now has the car. I would not be afraid to drive that car anywhere. 2022 drove it to Arizona and 2023 before SIL got it we went to Florida in it. Got great gas mileage.

Aries

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've got two Nissans now, and have had five total if I remember right. Only one had any problems to speak of, a gear on the power seat on the drivers side kept stripping out and I would have to replace it about once a year. Got to where I could replace it in about 30 minutes. And I forget the name of the part (camshaft sensor?) but it would just die going down the road for a second, then start back up and continue on. Replaced that part I think 3 times, I think it cost around $50 and took 5-10 minutes to replace? When we traded it off it needed bearings on one front wheel, new tires, and one cylinder was missing, probably a bad coil pack but not sure.

The two I have now have just over 100,000 and 35,000 miles on them. No problems with either so far.
The Altima had 85,000 on it when I sold it to my cousin to buy a Titan. He still drives it and loves it.
The 2004 Maxima is the only one that ever had any problems (described above), I forget how many miles it had on it but I'm thinking 175,000 ish?
The 1997 Maxima was a good car and never had any problems but got hit twice by people who fled the scene, and wasn't worth fixing after the second accident.

The worst one wasn't a horrible car, but had some annoying issues a few times. In my experience, they're good for up to a couple of hundred thousand miles. swampratt would think they were just getting broken in good.

dlbleak

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Supporting Member
Special Hen Administrator Moderator Supporter
Reaction score
Steer clear of Nissans unless you get a smoking deal. 08-12 have transmission issues. Post up pics of the Rav4 damage if you want to know if it is worth fixing.
Is it only the push button starts that have the CVT transmission that is known to fail? My daughter had a key start altima that was a decent little car. It did go through speed sensors though. I did hers at least twice, maybe 3 times.

n423

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have had 2 Nissan Frontiers and had no issues with both. My wife has had Nissan since she bought her first Datsun in 1976 new. She currently has a Rogue.
I also like Toyota and Honda also.
Finally got my son to buy Nissan truck. Got tired of Chevy and repairs.

Last edited:

jakeman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Checking out used cars on Facebook to get an idea of what is available in our price range. Lots of 2008 - 2012 Nissans. Anyone had one or know anything about their reliability, cost of ownership?

Going to have to look for something cheap because the old Rav4 will not be worth much to insurance and wife says I can not sell the few guns I have left. I had a Datsun back in the day and it was a good little truck but I heard they went downhill a bit after the name change.

Have you considered pulling a little red wagon behind the mower?

I'd recommend you get one with solid wheels though, just to be on the safe side.

Ready_fire_aim

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I’ve always seen most Nissan as a sort of great value brand Toyota. They’re alright vehicles if they’ve been maintained, but they do not hold up to high mileage as well as Toyota

I’d be leery of any Nissan with over 150k miles… but a Toyota with 150k is “just broke in” lol

Latest posts

Top Bottom