Anyone know anything about Nissans?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SNAKE PLISSKEN

"The name is Plissken"
Special Hen
Reaction score
The O.P. asked does anyone know anything about Nissans. Well, this is what I know. Before they were called Nissan, they were Datsuns, and man were they cool. Who remembers the 240Z and the crem da la crem 280Z. Those were the top of the line Japanese sporters. With the Toyota Supra catching up fast. Even the Datsun B210 was a fun little car. When they became Nissan and came out with the 300ZX it was still a cool car, they kinda went downhill after that. Anyway, that's what I know about Nissans.

Mats

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have a 2006 Nissan Pathfinder that's been a pretty reliable vehicle for me, but there are a few known issues to look for in the Xterras/Pathfinders/Frontiers of this generation. All three of these shared engines and transmissions in the 2005-2012-ish ranges.

The main 2 problems were that
A) Nissan cheaped out on the tensioner chain guides for the engines so around 130-150k they will start to fail and give off a high pitched whining sound. That must be corrected immediately or the guide can fail and cause everything to lose timing.

B) The stock radiators have a transmission cooling line running through them that will fail. There are aftermarket radiators that fix this issue (I use a CSF brand aluminum radiator), but if left uncorrected the transmission fluid and coolant will mix, destroying the transmission. You'll see this referenced as SMOD, or the strawberry milkshake of death, because of the thick pink mixture the transmission fluid turns into.

An interesting thing to note is that they made a V8 Pathfinder for a few years starting in 2008. If you find one they are solid vehicles but some of the mechanical parts for those models will be hard to replace. They no longer make a few of the parts, like the very specifically sized CV axles for only those models.

As others have mentioned, do not get a Nissan with a CVT transmssion.

Dumpstick

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
As others have mentioned, do not get a Nissan with a CVT transmission.
While the rest of your post is very informative,
I wouldn't go quite so far as to say that.

I would agree that the 2014 and earlier CVT has some well-known problems. A great part of their problems stemmed from insufficient trans oil cooling and lack of maintenance.
The insufficient cooling is an engineering failure, the lack of maintenance is just Joe and Jane Car-owner doing what they do (or don't do).

The original question was about the 2012-ish used Nissans being so inexpensive, and why. The answer is because of the possible (probable?) CVT problems.

As for not getting a Nissan with a CVT, well... If you buy a Nissan with an automatic, it is a CVT. There is no getting around it.
Nissan has gotten much, much better with the technology, and has led the way.
Still, I would not purchase a pre-2015 Nissan with a CVT, unless I could buy it cheap enough to replace the CVT and still be in it right.

ElmerFudd

Marksman
Banned
Reaction score
Ok… I’ll say this again: who’s mystery account is this?

Mr fudd… to me, you are quite suspicious… possibly an imposter, hiding behind a disguise. Fake account. Perhaps.

On the other hand… Maybe you legitimately are a new member. If that is the case, I sure don’t want to make you feel unwelcome.
Not sure how to respond to your suspicions. I’m a very simple guy that isn’t a computer whiz kid to even know how to be an imposter on the information superhighway. I’m a firm believer that we should buy American products. Yes, it’s not easy with automobiles because foreign owned companies are building autos in the US, and the US companies are building autos in Mexico. It’s difficult to find many products made in the USA anymore, and it’s just another piece in the puzzle that is leading to the demise of our country.

n423

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
  • Cars with CVT transmission as of 2022

• Buick: Encore GX
  • Chevrolet: Malibu, Trailblazer, Spark
  • Chrysler: Pacifica Hybrid (plug-in hybrid)
  • Ford: Escape Hybrid, Escape Plug-in Hybrid, Maverick (hybrid)
  • Honda: Accord, Accord Hybrid, Civic, CR-V, CR-V Hybrid, HR-V, Insight
  • Hyundai: Accent, Elantra, Kona, Venue
  • Infiniti: QX50, QX55
  • Kia: Forte, Rio, Seltos, Soul
  • Lexus: ES 300h, LC 500h, LS 500h, NX 350h, NX 450h Plus (PHEV), RX 450h, RX 450hL, UX 200, UX 250h
  • Lincoln: Corsair Grand Touring (PHEV)
  • Mitsubishi Eclipseipse , Mirage, Mirage G4, Outlander, Outlander Sport
  • Nissan: Altima, Kicks, Maxima, Murano, Rogue, Rogue Sport, Sentra, Versa
  • Subaru: Ascent, Crosstrek, Crosstrek Hybrid (PHEV), Forester, Impreza, Legacy, Outback, WRX
  • Toyota: Avalon Hybrid, C-HR, Camry Hybrid, Corolla, Corolla Hybrid, Corolla Cross, Highlander Hybrid, Prius, Prius Prime (PHEV), RAV4 Hybrid, RAV4 Prime (PHEV), Sienna, Venza

SoonerP226

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
This list is interesting and I post it because I know some Nissan vehicles are rebaged to a Ford or other make.
AFAIK, the only rebadged Nissan ever sold as a Ford product in the US was the Nissan Quest/Mercury Villager back in the '90s. There was a lot of cross-pollination between Ford and Mazda because they had a relationship dating back to the time of Henry Ford, and Mazda was effectively a subsidiary of Ford for decades until Alan Mulally sold off almost all of Ford's stake in Mazda.

Ready_fire_aim

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Not sure how to respond to your suspicions. I’m a very simple guy that isn’t a computer whiz kid to even know how to be an imposter on the information superhighway. I’m a firm believer that we should buy American products. Yes, it’s not easy with automobiles because foreign owned companies are building autos in the US, and the US companies are building autos in Mexico. It’s difficult to find many products made in the USA anymore, and it’s just another piece in the puzzle that is leading to the demise of our country.
You’re good, no biggie! I was just a little suspicious because sometimes after drama on here people will create new accounts to sort of troll with

ElmerFudd

Marksman
Banned
Reaction score
I have never done that. I troll with my one and only account so people know who is yanking their chain. :P :P
After reading through several threads where you commented, I’m going to say that you do plenty of chain yanking. With the tap or pass thread, I’d bet your yanking something else.

Latest posts

Top Bottom