Squirrel hunters, Looking for 1 or 2 mature hunters shot gun only .

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ousoonerfan22

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I was wondering if he could get a permit to use them? I've always had a problem with the conibears being illegal if you set them right especially for beaver you don't have to worry about catching someone's dogs or house cats. The government trappers use them. What about snares are they illegal?

SoonerP226

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
You would be a good hunter to get very many head shots on these crafty bastards
My grandpa was. My dad said they'd be walking through the forest, then Grandpa would snatch the rifle up to his shoulder and a squirrel would fall with a single .22-cal hole behind its ear--it was always in the same spot, and he never missed. Once he could no longer put the bullet in that spot, he quit hunting tree rats.

The problem became getting them cooked--they lived in a rented house for a short time after they moved from Pawnee county to Hughes county, and it was infested rats. My grandma said the dressed squirrels looked too much like the rats, and refused to have anything to do with them after that...

DREW42

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
[UOTE=ousoonerfan22;2616430 ]I w as w onder ing if he could get a permit to use them? I've always had a problem with the conibears being illegal if you set them right especially for beaver you don't have to worry about catching someone's dogs or house cats. The government trappers use them. What about snares are they illegal?[/QUOTE]
Conibears and snares are illegal in this state. You can thank the houndsmen for that. BUT if you get a nuisance Animal control license you can use them but only with severe restrictions and limitations

264killer

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
M!A Wood stock 007.jpg Was standing under the tree with pecan hulls falling on me. Could not see squirrel walked about 115 degrees around the tree . There he was. he is hanging around waiting on the hoot owl

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
[UOTE=ousoonerfan22;2616430 ]I w as w onder ing if he could get a permit to use them? I've always had a problem with the conibears being illegal if you set them right especially for beaver you don't have to worry about catching someone's dogs or house cats. The government trappers use them. What about snares are they illegal?
Conibears and snares are illegal in this state. You can thank the houndsmen for that. BUT if you get a nuisance Animal control license you can use them but only with severe restrictions and limitations

Tried FOREVER to get someone at the ODWC to tell me how/when/where to get an NWCO permit to avail. Got to go with govt trapper a couple of times when using snares for coyotes.............. incredible, impressive, efficient.......

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Trapped a zillion of the little tree rats with a live trap and corn for people in town that get them in their house.
Leave the door open, and let them get used to going in and out, then set the trigger live, and start catching them. Most of them take the trapped ones to the park or to the country and let them go.

My buddy uses a suppressed pellet gun in town.

ousoonerfan22

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
What about those large wooden rat traps that look like a mouse trap but larger would those kill a squirrel? You could nail them to a tree with peanut butter on the trigger? Tack weld some sharp nails on the bar??? That's a little morbid.
When I was a kid found one tripped but left a blood trail found the biggest wood rat that I had ever seen and he was dead.

Latest posts

Top Bottom