Stargazing Vacation

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MacFromOK

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Another gorgeous day in the mountains of Colorado. Off to Bishop’s Castle a little later this morning. It’s about 40 miles from where we are so an easy trip.
The castle is pretty cool. :thumb:

We visited it with some friends back in the '90s, and much of it was still unfinished (we did get to go up in it though). From recent pics I've seen, a lot more has been done since then.
:drunk2:

druryj

In Remembrance / Dec 27 2021
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
So Bishops Castle...and the old guy himself was a rare experience. He was off-loading some more rocks out of the back of a well-used old truck while were were there, and quite the loud, ranting character he is too! Something set him off and he was hollerin’ and yellin’ about the Govt and his constitutional rights and such. He managed to scare a little girl with his arms all waving about frantically as he spewed forth his vehemently expressed opinions. Apparently this is a regular thing with the guy. But then, he’s spent most of his life building this castle one rock at a time. With his own hands.

It is impressive, in spite of the large
a214e862103ac7cfaaf946178dd306a8.jpg
a6ce5d500ffca027f512688e514d0dd0.jpg
signs placed all around about the evils of the .gov and persecution, and his rights, and freedom, etc. the thing has a life to itself...pics can maybe help explain. It’s worth the drive. It looks like something one can imagine as a Wildling Castle from Game of Thrones or something. Check out the freakin’ dragon the guy built to watch over the joint.
05de314215bed634c952c95e6c01ac47.jpg
e7c6ff502e0a8c657939bcddf744c4e5.jpg
1ced5934dd761e20bd0e988f92647a70.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MacFromOK

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Yikes. He's invested in a lotta signage since we were there. IIRC, there was one sign saying "Enter at your own risk" or something similar. :D

There was no one on the property when we visited, not even other visitors.

Quite an amazing project.
:drunk2:

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
So Bishops Castle...and the old guy himself was a rare experience. He was off-loading some more rocks out of the back of a well-used old truck while were were there, and quite the loud, ranting character he is too! Something set him off and he was hollerin’ and yellin’ about the Govt and his constitutional rights and such. He managed to scare a little girl with his arms all waving about frantically as he spewed forth his vehemently expressed opinions. Apparently this is a regular thing with the guy. But then, he’s spent most of his life building this castle one rock at a time. With his own hands.

It is impressive, in spite of the large
a214e862103ac7cfaaf946178dd306a8.jpg
a6ce5d500ffca027f512688e514d0dd0.jpg
signs placed all around about the evils of the .gov and persecution, and his rights, and freedom, etc. the thing has a life to itself...pics can maybe help explain. It’s worth the drive. It looks like something one can imagine as a Wildling Castle from Game of Thrones or something. Check out the freakin’ dragon the guy built to watch over the joint.
05de314215bed634c952c95e6c01ac47.jpg
e7c6ff502e0a8c657939bcddf744c4e5.jpg
1ced5934dd761e20bd0e988f92647a70.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wow! That's an amazing structure.

Here is another rare incidence in Colorado if your around the Great Sand Dunes National park. The recent snow melt is contributing to "surges" as the water comes through the area.
https://www.thedenverchannel.com/li...t-great-sand-dunes-national-park-and-preserve

TerryMiller

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Joel,

Sounds like he hasn't mellowed any over the years. He was just like that when I was there the first time, sometime around 2010. However, in spite of what he says, my late brother-in-law stated that he didn't do all the building himself. If I remember right, his dad started the project.

Also, the dragon is designed with a burner within so that he can have it spitting fire by using a propane burner.

Now, did you happen to go all the way to the top of the castle?

druryj

In Remembrance / Dec 27 2021
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I was talking to some of the folks that run the gift shop there, they told me that the drawbridge over the moat used to work and the dragon did indeed spit fire, but some vandals tore the drawbridge all up, ruined the mechanism, and screwed up the fuel line or something to the Dragon too, so he's outta gas; no flames right now.

People. Damn.

And @TerryMiller, yes, I did climb all the way to the very top, as high as I could get. I can't even imagine the effort and time in hauling the rock and metal up there. He may be a few cards short of a full deck, but the guy is sure industrious.

TerryMiller

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I was talking to some of the folks that run the gift shop there, they told me that the drawbridge over the moat used to work and the dragon did indeed spit fire, but some vandals tore the drawbridge all up, ruined the mechanism, and screwed up the fuel line or something to the Dragon too, so he's outta gas; no flames right now.

People. Damn.

And @TerryMiller, yes, I did climb all the way to the very top, as high as I could get. I can't even imagine the effort and time in hauling the rock and metal up there. He may be a few cards short of a full deck, but the guy is sure industrious.

The location at Bishop's Castle also has its tragedies. When we were there in 2010, I overheard a cousin to the builder telling a story to someone else that was with her. Back years before, they went out to the castle to work and a tree had fallen across the road. So, they got to work to clear the roadway blockage by cutting the tree up in small sections and pulling them away from the road. Unknown to them the builder's young son had climbed down into the hole where the root mass had been, so when the got to the point that the root mass weighed more than the remaining tree, it dropped back into the hole, killing the young son. It took them a while to find out where he was.

And, within the last few years, the builder's wife passed away from cancer.

Latest posts

Top Bottom