Starting a small business

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TerryMiller

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score

I know of a lady who is converting an old travel trailer that looks like a caboose. It had issues with wanting to come apart when towing, so she hired a guy off of uship to haul it for her. When everything was said and done, she found out that he (the actual trucker) bid $240 to do the job. Uship charged her almost $500 for the deal. The trucker told her that if she ever needed anything hauled again to call him direct.

I can see getting a "commission" for arranging the shipment, but 100% for the "service" seems awfully high.

turkeyrun

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Have looked into this myself, have Class C liscense, did some over the road (working for a company) for a bit. REGS out the wazzoo. A lot worse for 18-wheel than a 1-ton and trailer, but still a pain. State regs and permits vary ALOT. Stick to OK, TX, La, AR, KS; not too bad. Stay the HELL out of Cali and anything northeast. USHIP is a pretty good start, other sites like it, also out there. Good Luck.

okietom

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Some small stuff. If you go to oilfield locations you will need FR clothing and a hard hat and safety toed shoes. If anyone has an accident while you are there they will want a urine sample then too.

11b1776

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
After taking a hard look, I really believe this is not something that can be done on the side FOR PROFIT. Uship is a joke, lots of illegal, & un-insured transporters, then people want you transport something to FL for $100. I thought since I have transported my own stuff, cars, house hold goods, atv's, hay, junk, and know how to do it right, I have the truck, and a couple of trailers, almost everything I need, that it would be a good fit, but the insurance and red tape are to much for a new guy, and trying to do it part time. If any of you know someone looking for a part time guy to haul for them, let me know. Which is a pipe dream in its self, because part time worker doesn't mean part time insurance, so he would have to need one BAD!

Latest posts

Top Bottom