State Questions

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JD8

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Most beer is unpasteurized so that's not true. It's about controlling freshness and that it has to sit hot in the hands of 3 separate entities before you can buy it

Only part I care about is allowing breweries, especially local, put their beer in the hands of people who will treat it correctly. All the breweries I know of support this

And I honestly don't care about if your liquor store goes out of business because you won't specialize and you're the exact same as the 5 other liquor stores in a square mile. If my restaurant doesn't set itself apart it will go out of business so the same should be true of the liquor monopoly

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Right, which is exactly what I said. The distributor CAN store it cold, they just chose not to, which has nothing to do with the laws except it can't to be sold cold. (non 3.2) Even though you're wrong about most beer being unpasteurized, some is, some isn't. Lots of bottles and import kegs are for obvious reason. Granted, I was told the reason why Fat Tire won't come here was because of what I said by the Owner of LDF and Jarboe, but WTF do they know right? Only two of the biggest players in Oklahoma.

Also, if there were a law saying Chilis could stay open different and longer hours than your restaurant, then I'd wager you change your tune about not caring. Has nothing to do with "not specializing."

donner

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Not sure why you're asking this?

do you have a link to the law regarding unpasteurized beer? I looked but couldn't seem to find it.

Most beer that is pasteurized is some for stability of the product from what brewers have told me. Very little (if any) harmful bacteria can grow in the alcoholic environment (as many home brewers know).

The stability issue is what i was always told was the reason for some breweries not wanting to do business in OK. They didn't want to risk their product sitting hot on shelves. But this was awhile ago.

JD8

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
do you have a link to the law regarding unpasteurized beer? I looked but couldn't seem to find it.

Most beer that is pasteurized is some for stability of the product from what brewers have told me. Very little (if any) harmful bacteria can grow in the alcoholic environment (as many home brewers know).

The stability issue is what i was always told was the reason for some breweries not wanting to do business in OK. They didn't want to risk their product sitting hot on shelves. But this was awhile ago.

I didn't say there was a law regarding unpasteurized beer? What I said was, that it has to be sold hot....assuming everyone knows it's +3.2 beer? Therefore those beer makers won't ship their beer to our distributors.

Last edited:

donner

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I didn't say there was a law regarding unpasteurized beer? What I said was, that it has to be sold hot....assuming everyone knows it's +3.2 beer? Therefore those beer makers won't ship their beer to our distributors.

Sorry, i misread your statement, "rather that it's an unpasteurized beer and according to our law, can't be sold cold. Fat Tire is the same way."

It's not that it's unpasteurized that requires it to be sold warm, it's the alcohol content. The fact that it's unpasteurized means that the brewery wont sell it to states that sell it warm because it isn't good for the product.

But basically it boils down to the fact that the law still acts to limit which products are available because of archaic restrictions.

Last edited:

HarveyDanger

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
The NB rep I talked to a couple years ago said their main issue was that it couldn't be sold cold and that because all beer must go on the open market and therefore could come from any number of distributors they can't control the product

They want their beer to be in retail for no more than 45 days then any past that would be bought back. If you buy from 5 companies and all 5 carry that beer who is responsible for buying back? Can you prove it came from jarboe?

When a brewery can go through a single distributor they can more easily control the freshness and quality of their product.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Top Bottom