Steel Cut Oats

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gmar

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
There was a thread earlier about what to put on oats, and the subject of Steel Cut Oats came up.

Well, I bought some, so what is the best way to cook Steel Cut Oats??

Does it really take 30-40 minutes??

The ones I bought have a microwave cooking directions and I do that work. However, I HAVE to add Truvia and fruit to mine or it's way too bland. I normally add blueberries or strawberries and it taste good enough to eat.

xSMOKExLESSxCRACKx

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Well, I bought some, so what is the best way to cook Steel Cut Oats??

Does it really take 30-40 minutes??

Yes, they take that long, but I like them much better than rolled oats. They just have more "substance" to them than the usual gelatinous bowl of mush that is oatmeal.

I don't know about cooking them in the microwave. We tossed ours up in the attic some time ago and haven't looked back.

Istandalone

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
OK, I tried them? water to boil add oats, simmer for 30 minutes.

IDK, are they supposed to have the texture of rubber bird shot. A little tougher than tapioca or rice?

Or were they not cooked long enough.

druryj

In Remembrance / Dec 27 2021
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
My wife likes them and so when she makes them, I eat them...but damn if I'm gonna watch a pot of oatmeal boil for 40 minutes! They really do take that long to cook.

oknavy

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Easy to put in the crock pot overnight and they're hot and ready in the morning. The best!

An alternative if you don't have a crock pot: boil them for a few minutes per normal method, then turn off the heat and cover the pan. In the morning, simmer for a bit. Soaking overnight reduces the overall time.

As noted above, it's worth it.

Latest posts

Top Bottom