Country (salt cured) ham

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

adamsredlines

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Been craving some country ham and picked up a 18.8# one over the Thanksgiving weekend.

Now, how to "cook" it for serving? What's the best way? Just slice and pan fry to a good crisp outside layer?

I'm gonna cut it up this weekend and vacuum seal it into smaller portions, but gonna feed that craving, too!

Resized_20231126_200139.jpeg

adamsredlines

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Was visiting parents and told my mom I was looking for one. She checked Kroger and they had one. She asked if they had a smaller one and the clerk said they get 2 a year and the other one had just sold.

And yes, Uncle Hershels Special!!!!

Profreedomokie

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
You can bake it whole or boil it. Be sure to soak it overnight in water to remove some of the salt. We baked one we bought in Va. last April. I thought they would last a long time but, I found out about two months is about is recommended. Ours was so salty we threw most of it away. The Smithfield area of Va. is known for great hams. I grew up in that area and I miss all the good pork dishes and the great seafood.

TedKennedy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Been craving some country ham and picked up a 18.8# one over the Thanksgiving weekend.

Now, how to "cook" it for serving? What's the best way? Just slice and pan fry to a good crisp outside layer?

I'm gonna cut it up this weekend and vacuum seal it into smaller portions, but gonna feed that craving, too!

View attachment 434833
Smoke it, low and slow. Most of the hams you buy these days have so much water injected into them they're spongy. A long slow cook gets some of that water out and imparts a great flavor. I'd smoke a ham like that for a minimum of 8 hours at 200. It'll be almost black on the outside and those "crusts" will soften up and make the best pot of beans you ever put in your mouth.

Hangfire

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Last edited:

Latest posts

Top Bottom