still deciding (sig p220 vs sig p226)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Str8 Shooter

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
So I have updated my poll on here thanks to all the responses. but Now I am torn between the sig p220. 45 or the sig p226 9mm.

this will be for conceal carry. does any have any thoughts on either of these personally??

LBnM

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Well, classic SIGs are my favorite. I have owned almost all P series models and still own two each of most of them. The P226 is a great handgun but it is not my favorite. If there could only be one I would have a difficult time choosing which P220 to keep. It's my favorite and I CC one most of the time year round. I do occasionally carry a 9mm (or a .357 SIG) and have no problem with the cartridge in a good +P load. I just prefer the feel of the P220 to that of the double stack P226. They can both be concealed pretty easily with a good quality holster. When I carry a 9mm or .357 SIG it's in the P239 platform. For a long time I didn't like the feel of the grip in the P229 but I have Crimson Trace on one and Hogue checkered G-10 on the other and that made them good. I also have a P229 which is double stack and it is reserved as a house gun. I'll carry it once every year or so just to remind myself I can. At one time I had a P226 as a house gun but the P229 replaced it. The P226 had a rail and it is the only SIG I have ever owned with one. I think the cleaner lines of the P229 SAS is what one me over. As I said, the P220 is my choice but what it boils down to is to handle and, if possible, shoot each and take your choice. They are all very good guns. I'm older and old fashioned so I don't like plastic, rails or tails - but that's just me. Here is the one I probably would have to chose (if there could only be one).
[Broken External Image]

Str8 Shooter

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Well, classic SIGs are my favorite. I have owned almost all P series models and still own two each of most of them. The P226 is a great handgun but it is not my favorite. If there could only be one I would have a difficult time choosing which P220 to keep. It's my favorite and I CC one most of the time year round. I do occasionally carry a 9mm (or a .357 SIG) and have no problem with the cartridge in a good +P load. I just prefer the feel of the P220 to that of the double stack P226. They can both be concealed pretty easily with a good quality holster. When I carry a 9mm or .357 SIG it's in the P239 platform. For a long time I didn't like the feel of the grip in the P229 but I have Crimson Trace on one and Hogue checkered G-10 on the other and that made them good. I also have a P229 which is double stack and it is reserved as a house gun. I'll carry it once every year or so just to remind myself I can. At one time I had a P226 as a house gun but the P229 replaced it. The P226 had a rail and it is the only SIG I have ever owned with one. I think the cleaner lines of the P229 SAS is what one me over. As I said, the P220 is my choice but what it boils down to is to handle and, if possible, shoot each and take your choice. They are all very good guns. I'm older and old fashioned so I don't like plastic, rails or tails - but that's just me. Here is the one I probably would have to chose (if there could only be one).
[Broken External Image]

thats awesome! i really appreciate all that info...i am leaning really hard towards the p220 dark elite. i just really need to go shoot it and see if i like it. i just can't get past the double stack just yet. This will be first sig and when i held that dark elite the first time, it won me over almost that second.

thanks for the help!!

okwarren

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I own a P220 myself and enjoy shooting it. The only thing I didn't like about it at first was the magazine release button since I have a stubby right thumb, so I did a slight modification on mine to place the button on the other side so i can press it with my trigger finger. Also mine came with Hogue rubber grips which I definitely like the feel of better than the standard grips.

You can't go wrong with a P220, but as IkenI said, try them both and see which one you can handle better.

Edit: If you get a P220 then see if you can also get a 7 round magazine for it, since the 7 round mag will be flush with the grip, whereas the 8 round mag will stick out some.

Last edited:

JonN06

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I know you said you were torn between .45 and 9mm, but I think if I was going to get a p226 I might try to get a .40 and an extra .357 sig barrel so I could switch them out every once in awhile.

HMCS(FMF)Ret.

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Both are great guns. Just depends on which fits your hand better. I sold my 220 because it was too thick for my hands. Bought a 226(E2), which fits me perfectly. As for 45 vs 9mm....shoot whatever you shoot best.

NINEROUND

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
No experience with either personally on my part, but It is hard to beat the .45 for self defense....that being said, 90% of the time I carry a 9mm.....:punch:

JonN06

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Both are great guns. Just depends on which fits your hand better. I sold my 220 because it was too thick for my hands. Bought a 226(E2), which fits me perfectly. As for 45 vs 9mm....shoot whatever you shoot best.

I want to get my hands on one of those e2 grips. The regular sig p grips are just a little to big for my baby sized hands.

HMCS(FMF)Ret.

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I want to get my hands on one of those e2 grips. The regular sig p grips are just a little to big for my baby sized hands.

Yeah they make a huge difference. Now that they have the e2 grips and thin short reset trigger they are sweeeeet. If you have small or medium sized hands the new e2 will fit like a glove.

Latest posts

Top Bottom