Store eggs up to 2 years.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RickN

Eye Bleach Salesman
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I stole this from a small farm group on FB. Thought it might be good for preppers.

No. These are not pickled eggs. These are homegrown, unwashed eggs stored in lime water. The lime water fills in all the pores of the egg and encases them in a shell of "glass". Water glassed eggs can last stored at room temperature like this for up to 2 years. This method of preserving raw eggs has been used since the 1800s and was common even into the 1940s and 50s. When refrigerators became a standard kitchen appliance, water glassing almost became a lost art.

You cannot use commercial eggs for this because they have all had the protective coating (bloom) washed off the shell and will quickly go bad. I recently scrambled up 18 eggs that had been stored in lime water for 7 months on an unrefrigerated cupboard shelf and they tasted perfectly fresh (although the yoke seemed a bit thinner than fresh eggs).

Anyhow, if you have an abundance of fresh, unwashed eggs, you might want to try putting some away for later. The ratio is one ounce (by weight) of lime (calcium hydroxide) to one quart of water. Calcium hydroxide is a completely natural, organic ingredient and harmless, although the powder is very fine and may irritate your lungs if you breathe it in. The lime water also quickly dried out the skin on my hands and I had to apply lotion to get them back to normal. When you do use the eggs, be sure to rinse them thoroughly before you crack them or they will taste like lime.

FYI: a gallon size container will store about 40 eggs. Lime is also known as calcium hydroxide. You can buy it in 50 pound bags in the masonry section of the hardware store, or in 1 pound bags in the canning section of the grocery store....often labeled as "pickling lime”.

Eggs.jpg

tRidiot

Perpetually dissatisfied
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'd be interested in seeing someone confirm, this, although most people don't realize unwashed eggs can stay on your counter for weeks or even months. This washing and refrigerating thing is an Americanism, the rest of the world doesn't worry that much about it.

MacFromOK

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'd be interested in seeing someone confirm, this, although most people don't realize unwashed eggs can stay on your counter for weeks or even months. This washing and refrigerating thing is an Americanism, the rest of the world doesn't worry that much about it.
Have you tried this?

Many years ago, a friend's parents had a surplus of eggs, so we got free eggs for a while.

A very short while.

We started getting eggs that smelled like something dead when they were frying (no blood vessels or other evidence of growth). And I'm pretty sure they weren't months old.

We told our friend we didn't want any more. I like eggs too much to be turned off on 'em.
:drunk2:

RickN

Eye Bleach Salesman
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score

2busy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
There are youtube videos of doing this. I actually have 3 gallon jars of eggs with this method. Only been in the jars a couple months. The main thing is do not wash the eggs before you preserve them. Do not use dirty eggs. Also make sure there are no cracks. You cannot do this with store bought eggs.

tRidiot

Perpetually dissatisfied
Special Hen
Reaction score
Have you tried this?

Many years ago, a friend's parents had a surplus of eggs, so we got free eggs for a while.

A very short while.

We started getting eggs that smelled like something dead when they were frying (no blood vessels or other evidence of growth). And I'm pretty sure they weren't months old.

We told our friend we didn't want any more. I like eggs too much to be turned off on 'em.
:drunk2:
I've left even store bought eggs on the counter for several weeks with no deleterious effects. In actuality it's hard to find non-washed farm fresh eggs at all... even local egg producing folks usually spray them off to remove any appearance of yuckiness before they sell them to friends and neighbors. You really have to specifically ASK them BEFOREHAND NOT to wash them in any way at all. When I've done this, I've been met with resistance - alot of them don't want to handle or dispense eggs that may have a little poop on them. lol

Latest posts

Top Bottom