Storing Ammo in a Garage?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lurkerinthewoods

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Supporter
Reaction score
I would make sure it isn't visible from the street if at all possible. A few years ago there were a few home invasions happen while people had their garage doors open and a gun safe visible from the street.

Shodown

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If you seal it up in ammo cans, it will last longer than you….

I have 7 ammo cans that are now full. Part of the reason I wanted to lock it up in a safe was so that I can build shelves because I am tired of pulling them in and out of the closet. I want to simply open the safe, grad it and go. First world problems...I know....

I would make sure it isn't visible from the street if at all possible. A few years ago there were a few home invasions happen while people had their garage doors open and a gun safe visible from the street.

Great point. I'll make sure it's not visible.

Thanks for the replies, everyone. I'm going to look into the golden rod for sure.

Buzzdraw

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Ammo stores best in cooler temps that remain fairly constant. Powder does NOT like drastic temp changes as you'd see in a typical Oklahoma garage, insulated garage door or not. Several probably remember seeing the mostly below ground bunkers at military installations. Ground temp, like in a cellar, helps to keep the stuff cool. In a home, storage near the floor in a heated/air conditioned space is your best bet. Temps vary in a room quite a bit, usually warmer in the summer, as you move up towards the ceiling.

SMS

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have 7 ammo cans that are now full. Part of the reason I wanted to lock it up in a safe was so that I can build shelves because I am tired of pulling them in and out of the closet. I want to simply open the safe, grad it and go. First world problems...I know..

Stick the ammo in ammo cans and stack the ammo cans in your safe, in your garage…no need for the golden rod was my point. LOL.

fubarjohnnyr

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I use an old, worn-out refrigerator out in the garage for some of my ammo storage.
It's plugged into the AC power with the thermostat switched to the "off" position, which still allows for the light to come on when the door is open.

ammofridge.jpg

It's relatively air tight.
It's insulated, making it relatively temperature controlled.
It's already compartmentalized, making organization easy.
I don't care what anyone says, having a butter tray full of .30 carbine is freaking awesome.

Only drawback is the lack of security, but I reckon a fellow could work up a way to lock it down with a little hardware.

Latest posts

Top Bottom