Storm Shelters and State Fairs

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

XD-9Guy

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
flatsafe sales theirs for the same price, fair or not.

Well that's disappointing to hear, I was leaning towards their product but if someone else can save me a couple hundred bucks I'll go with someone else, as long as they do a good job. This certainly isn't one of those deals where cheapest = best.

Honeybee

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
None of the above mentioned storm shelters will protect you against a State Fair, It's not going to happen, and when it does you can just watch your money fly out of your pockets like a tornado in New York.

Seriously the time to buy a storm shelter is in the winter when none of the companies have any business. They are then ready to make a deal because they have employees just sitting around and no money comming in.

right now and during the fair there is tons of business and they have no reason to give you any price break.

ssgrock3

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I would likely agree, but with storms on the regular, bout all that changes is the install appointment time is shorter. lol

BadgeBunny

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Hmmmmm ... I keep dragging my feet about putting in a shelter. The "haggle" aspect does make it appear a little more appealing though. I might need to go to the State Fair with GC this year. Not my favorite place to be but I guess everybody's gotta be somewhere ...

XD-9Guy

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Just came home from the Fair and the deals weren't that great but they were a little cheaper. Flat Safe is doing $100 off their regular shelter prices and you can save an additional $100 if you pay cash or check. The woman I spoke with also said that all their models will increase in price October 1st, they haven't increased in 2 years and they said they need to now due to increases in fuel/delivery expenses and increased material costs. So if you are looking at a Flat Safe, the fair might not be a bad place to go ahead an ink a deal. Their install times are FAST right now too, they offered me a date next week & this is Thursday so their business has definitely slowed back down.

I talked to GroundZero again too, I don't know what their regular prices are but the advertised prices at the Fair were $2,800 for the Large Flat-Top and $3,995 for the X-Large Flat-Top.

I went with a Flat Safe for some additional height, slightly better ventilation and primarily because they have composite; I'm thinking plastic doesn't rust, metal eventually will. I like the door and lock up on the Flat Safe a little more too, but both seem to be good products.

I hope that helps any of you others that were holding out for the Fair like me.

Danny Tanner

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Just came home from the Fair and the deals weren't that great but they were a little cheaper. Flat Safe is doing $100 off their regular shelter prices and you can save an additional $100 if you pay cash or check. The woman I spoke with also said that all their models will increase in price October 1st, they haven't increased in 2 years and they said they need to now due to increases in fuel/delivery expenses and increased material costs. So if you are looking at a Flat Safe, the fair might not be a bad place to go ahead an ink a deal. Their install times are FAST right now too, they offered me a date next week & this is Thursday so their business has definitely slowed back down.

I talked to GroundZero again too, I don't know what their regular prices are but the advertised prices at the Fair were $2,800 for the Large Flat-Top and $3,995 for the X-Large Flat-Top.

I went with a Flat Safe for some additional height, slightly better ventilation and primarily because they have composite; I'm thinking plastic doesn't rust, metal eventually will. I like the door and lock up on the Flat Safe a little more too, but both seem to be good products.

I hope that helps any of you others that were holding out for the Fair like me.

We got there at 7 and only had 2 hours to walk through the buildings. I never saw GroundZero or FlatSafe, but saw a couple of other companies I've never heard of and brought home their fliers (still in the car or else I'd tell you the company name) and prices seemed comparable to the others. I'll do some research and comparison on these other companies, which I'm assuming are out of state (which is a strike). I'll be back tomorrow morning and we'll be doing some hands-on looking and discussing then.

Thanks for the heads up. I'm wondering if that's just a pushy sales tactic or if they really are raising their prices.

XD-9Guy

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I wondered the same thing but much like the first FlatSafe person I talked to, she wasn't very salesman like. She didn't give me any pressure but she heard me fishing for discounts and then threw that out there. Pitch or not, the reason I bit is because they knocked another $100 bucks off something I was already about 95% committed to purchasing.

You'll have to visit more than one building to see ALL the shelter companies, I saw the places you mentioned, Safe Shelter is probably more reputable than the other two I saw because the other two were brand new to me. The one company was a joke, they had one in ground unit that was thinner plastic than GroundZero's composite and priced at $5,000 - no thanks. But the other two appear to have competitive pricing and decent quality.

I have these you can check out while you are comparing...

[Broken External Image]

[Broken External Image]

Latest posts

Top Bottom