straw bale gardening

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

aviator41

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Heard of it, but never tried is. Seems like a good way to get well drained raised beds that can be mulched in at the end of the year. Never priced a straw bale, any idea what they cost?

SomeCallMeMom

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have a book that talks about it in detail. I've never tried it, but I'm beginner at gardening... I think the book is called backyard homesteading. Hubby picked it up at Lowes for Christmas a couple years ago.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Around Ponca, straw bales sell for around $4-$5.

I tried it once with a tomato plant. Just stuck it in the bale. It didn't work well. I suspect it was my fault.
I'm sure the bale has to be prepared and maintained differently than just sticking it in the bale

Remington

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
We do raised beds using straw bales. We use the bales for a nativity scene at Christmas and then move them to garden and make a large raised bed for the kids in the spring. By the end of the growing season they are realy starting to get soft and need to be replaced, but we leave them through the winter and replace in the spring. It allows for really good draining, almost to good. But our soil is heavy clay and even after 20 years of adding addmendments it's hard to get get good looking root vegetables from the garden, so the straw bales allow us to make great soil that will grow root vegetables really good. We get some big carrots this way.

subprep

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Wow Clock, thanks for that! Its a little more involved than I had thought but it doesn't seem to bad! I may try this with my tomato plants this year! I love the idea of planting the side of the bales also. That really creates more square footage in your garden!

Latest posts

Top Bottom