Stupid hunting law....

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I agree. It's stupid. Let's figure out how to change the law.

We had a long discussion about this last season. It's something some legislator put in there to satisfy a donor probably.
Who knows.
I've talked to several GW's about it. They could care less what your round count is, but they also told me that if too much ruckus gets started about this, some legislator looking for glory might try to get the same dumb rule passed for AK's and AR's shooting larger calibers.

Sometimes it's best to let sleeping dogs lay.

Jcann

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I agree with you, it is stupid. I guess those in power believe those of us who shoot the black rifle are going to go out hunting with a 30 round mag and shoot up the country-side while hunting.

Like you I've got another bone to pick with a stupid game law as well. Legally I can't hunt with my 38 super. I can hunt with a 40 cal and a 357 Sig though. My 38 super will out perform a 357 Sig all day every day and twice on Sunday. After speaking with a game warden he said I could still carry it while deer hunting as long as I also carried my rifle. This would show that my rifle was my primary weapon. He wasn't giving me permission to hunt with it but it was almost like he was giving me an "out" if I did.

MrShooter

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
We had a long discussion about this last season. It's something some legislator put in there to satisfy a donor probably.
Who knows.
I've talked to several GW's about it. They could care less what your round count is, but they also told me that if too much ruckus gets started about this, some legislator looking for glory might try to get the same dumb rule passed for AK's and AR's shooting larger calibers.

Sometimes it's best to let sleeping dogs lay.

I think its worth the fight if enough people spoke up

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I agree with you, it is stupid. I guess those in power believe those of us who shoot the black rifle are going to go out hunting with a 30 round mag and shoot up the country-side while hunting.

Like you I've got another bone to pick with a stupid game law as well. Legally I can't hunt with my 38 super. I can hunt with a 40 cal and a 357 Sig though. My 38 super will out perform a 357 Sig all day every day and twice on Sunday. After speaking with a game warden he said I could still carry it while deer hunting as long as I also carried my rifle. This would show that my rifle was my primary weapon. He wasn't giving me permission to hunt with it but it was almost like he was giving me an "out" if I did.

Better have your CC license on you if your seen.

I think its worth the fight if enough people spoke up

If you consider the consequences of losing that fight, I'd think I'd let it lay.

The legislature passes laws, not the wildlife department. Some legislature can throw a NO MAG over 7 into a spending bill and it will pass without a no vote if its tied to a bill that provides food for hungry children. That's how things run at the capitol.

Line item veto's would eliminate that, but the politicians don't want line item veto's. Takes the pork and stupid laws out of their bills.

batchman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Ok speaking of dumb laws why can't we hunt pigs at night like every other state that is truly trying to eradicate pigs will let you do! Now if you want to hunt them at night you have to get permission?

Oklahomabassin

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Ok speaking of dumb laws why can't we hunt pigs at night like every other state that is truly trying to eradicate pigs will let you do! Now if you want to hunt them at night you have to get permission?

I don't know. It can be difficult to get permission from some game wardens if you don't have crops being damaged. Have you thought anymore about the trapping?

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score

I'm not sure about the laws in other states, but we are over ran with night time deer poachers in my neck of the woods. Having 1 sq mile section line roads enable somebody to see the other side with a good enough spotlight or night vision.

I'm tired of spending a thousand dollars or so on food plots, shooting trophy deer only along with does to help the buck to doe ratio, passing on bucks I would have been proud to shoot 10 years ago, only to see pics of them at the check station where there was a deer contest with $$ for the top buck. Same people win every year.

We don't do that now with the e check in, but those poachers are still out there.

The GW that worked part time where I used to work told me about a couple of contractors from Louisiana that were working at the plant. At night, they took their night vision, and dropped a guy off along a creek line. He shot any big buck he found, dropped a pin on his GPS and they went back later to cut the rack off, leaving the body for the vultures. They killed 7 before getting caught.
7 bucks that some landowner or hunter had been passing on for "one more year".

You can get permission to use night vision from a GW. I'm all for it.

retrieverman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I saw this a few days ago and thought it applied here.

10354749_738324556261951_2282283149798908464_n.jpg

Latest posts

Top Bottom