Suggest a car GPS unit

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Old Timer

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I started out with a TomTom, did not care for then switched to Garmin. Have had 3 different ones, and liked every one of them.
Still have the 765LMT and 50LMT
Get the lifetime maps if you can. Maps on the TomTom would have cost almost as much as my new Garmin.

oneton

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Love the TomTom with lifetime maps, large screen and live traffic (lots of Dallas driving and traffic jams). Having the google maps on the iphone is a nice back up.......

AllOut

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've been looking at big GPS units for the last few months for our place in Mexico. Seeing how there are no "roads" on our place I needed to be able to track and save my own.
What I found is that I needed a really expensive chart plotter, up to $2000!!!!
BUT, I was very happy to hear that there is an app for IPhone/Ipad called "MotionX". It's a $5 app and will chart and save roads, waypoints etc and I can have it on a 10" touch screen Ipad for under $400!!! After a bit of research I've come to find out that a lot of desert racers have ditched their expensiive chart plotters and when this route. So I down loaded the app to my IPhone. It's great, speed is spot on, free unlimited down loads of any maps in the world, recorded and charted a few roads to test.... Plus the GPS function on it works great!
If you don't want a 10" screen you can get the Ipad mini and have a 7" HD touch screen GPS. Get the 3G/4G and not the wifi ones though. The 3G/4G have a satilite reciever built in and will still work without cell/data service. Which we don't have in Mexico.

Latest posts

Top Bottom