Suggestions for easy DIY hair clippers?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

foghorn918

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I searched for threads on clippers and found general recommendations for Wahl clippers for cutting your own hair.
I'm open to specific ideas on a particular model or brand.
Will just one clipper work, or is it easier with also having a smaller clipper too for trim work?
I'm leaning toward putting a guard (#1 or #2) on the clipper and just buzzing it all over -- any basic videos for dummies that want to learn?
What say you, OSA? Thanks in advance for any tips or advice.

Here's a tutorial on cutting your hair with clippers. Don't know if it's any good or not since I've never done it either. I ordered a wahl clipper kit this week also, so we'll see how it goes.

https://www.wikihow.com/Use-Hair-Clippers

MacFromOK

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I use a set of Wahl pet clippers ("Pet-Clip Deluxe" or something like that). :D

No removeable guards, but it does have a little lever on the side that adjust the blades a bit. Goes from pretty much shaving to about 1/8" long.

We also have a couple of people clippers, a Wahl my Sis was going to throw away (someone had dropped it and one blade was crooked) and a smaller Oster that my wife used on my hair for probably 30 years.

My hair is still pretty thick, and the pet clippers don't even slow down. Plus, I like not having to mess with removeable guards.

Whatever you get, I'd also recommend a corded model.
:drunk2:

Dumpstick

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I buzz cut my own hair for several years, but when we got married my wife started cutting my hair. She's been doing it for more than 20 years now.

It took her a few tries, but she got good at it. Saves money, and I don't have to go wait at a barber.

We use Wahl. It wouldn't do for a pro cutting 20 heads a day, but for homeowner use I think it does fine.

Don't bother with the cordless, not enough ooomph.

TwoForFlinching

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
wa4qjmzm21t41.jpg

Barn Dog

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Been using a Wahl for 20 yrs. I have the corded model with the detachable guards. Once a week I touch up the face and head and I'm good to go.

Latest posts

Top Bottom