Suppressor question.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NationalMatch

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Am looking to outfit a coyote/hog gun for a farm. AR 15 build. Q: The ammo is subsonic. Does that necessitate a reduced power recoil spring? Q: Who builds the better suppressors that are available in Tulsa? Q: $200 for the permit? Q: What's the wait time?

PBramble

Let's Eat
Special Hen
Reaction score
Q1: Maybe, won't know til you shoot it. If it's factory ammo, likely not quite subsonic, so probably not.
Q2: All of them should be available in Tulsa. But you can check Thunderbeast's website to find dealers there, and it will show who has inventory.
Q3: It's a tax stamp and yes, 200 doll hairs.
Q4: could be 90 days, could be 13 months. As the system gets more and more clogged, the wait will continue to go up.

James Abram

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
If you’re shooting an AR15 in .223/5.56 the ammo WILL NOT be subsonic. In fact, the 5.56 cartridge is one of the hardest to suppress, it’s just naturally a high pressure round.

You can get a good can for $450ish, or you can spend and get an awesome can for $1200ish. One of the best and cheapest is the TREK from Gemtec (Smith & Wesson) at $459 in my shop.

Your tax stamp will cost $200 and the wait on an eFile Form 4 right now is around 240 days.

Any good NFA dealer in Tulsa can get you more info.

Glockisgood17

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If you want a good, quiet gun for yotes, and hog go with the 300 BO. A true subsonic with the right load. Just about the only thing you will hear is the bolt movement. AND it will function the rifle.

$200 stamp for each and every can or other item you purchase that if nfa regulated. We went with Silencer Central, they did everything including the trust. We did it before the e file started, just about 18 months exactly.

Dillon157

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
As others have mentioned, you most likely will not be able to shoot subsonic 556 reliably in an AR15 platform… unless you’re ok with utilizing your rifle like a bolt action by using the charging handle to physically chamber each new round.

556 is very loud and, even suppressed, I still recommend wearing some form of hearing protection. With that said, it’s still worth suppressing 556 IMO. But, if you haven’t experienced a suppressor with that caliber, you should know it’s not like Hollywood.

Chasing records

Marksman
Reaction score
Am looking to outfit a coyote/hog gun for a farm. AR 15 build. Q: The ammo is subsonic. Does that necessitate a reduced power recoil spring? Q: Who builds the better suppressors that are available in Tulsa? Q: $200 for the permit? Q: What's the wait time?
I have a griffin direct thread on my setup and I really dig it. There are much more expensive ones but I’ve had great luck with mine and it makes all the difference in taking the sharp sound off of the 556. And when I down load mine I just have to manually cycle it.

Chuckie

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Q1: Maybe, won't know til you shoot it. If it's factory ammo, likely not quite subsonic, so probably not.
Q2: All of them should be available in Tulsa. But you can check Thunderbeast's website to find dealers there, and it will show who has inventory.
Q3: It's a tax stamp and yes, 200 doll hairs.
Q4: could be 90 days, could be 13 months. As the system gets more and more clogged, the wait will continue to go up.
" As the system gets more and more clogged, the wait will continue to go up. "

I hear this same rhetoric year, after year, after year.

Everyone bashes the ATF as being part of the anti-2A Administration but no one ever questions why 'the wait continues to go up' every year. Has anyone ever considered the possibility that extended wait times are NOT because of a "clogged" system, but rather part of the plan to make firearm an accessory acquisition so 'painful' and convoluted that people eventually give up even trying?

mr ed

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
" As the system gets more and more clogged, the wait will continue to go up. "

I hear this same rhetoric year, after year, after year.

Everyone bashes the ATF as being part of the anti-2A Administration but no one ever questions why 'the wait continues to go up' every year. Has anyone ever considered the possibility that extended wait times are NOT because of a "clogged" system, but rather part of the plan to make firearm an accessory acquisition so 'painful' and convoluted that people eventually give up even trying?
They improved the system. Had form 4's continued at 2021 rates your wait would have been 90 days. However everybody jumped on the efile bandwagon with millions of form 4's and clogged the system.

Latest posts

Top Bottom