Surplus armored vehicles and deuce and a half trucks

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

11b1776

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If you have it for private use NO CDL is required in most states, Oklahoma is one of those states. The A3 models have limited top speed(45ish) with their 4 speed tranny, and the Cummins engine used have very mixed reviews. The A3's do have power steering and better brakes compared to the A2 models along with a few other creature comforts, but lose the multi-fuel option. The M35A3's demand premium prices over their M939 series 5 Ton counterparts, though the market has come down some over the last few years. The production numbers on the M35A3's are low compared to other series.

Jestik

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
:shocked:

:lookaroun :lookaroun :lookaroun

Dear God,

Please do not let my darling husband see this thread. You already know the trials and tribulations I face daily with regard to abandoned missle silos. Thank you.

Amen.

BB,

We talked about it at our Bug Out Review....why in the world are you so against abandoned missile silos? We all LOVED the idea, and wanted one of our own.

AbundantEntropy

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Ok I stand corrected. I have always been told as a class a driver if its got air brakes you must have a cdl. Does Oklahoma require an endorsement for air brakes alone like some states if its for private use? Some states require the endorsement so people know how to check and operate them. Kinda a safety issue

WTJ

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Ok I stand corrected. I have always been told as a class a driver if its got air brakes you must have a cdl. Does Oklahoma require an endorsement for air brakes alone like some states if its for private use? Some states require the endorsement so people know how to check and operate them. Kinda a safety issue

I think the driving factor (no pun intended) is the use of the vehicle for commercial purposes, as in common carriers and those types of operations. You used to see Class 8 vehicles with "Not for hire" placards, and I think that was intended to negate the need for commercial tags and CDLs.

Don't know exactly how that works anymore.

11b1776

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score

Using it non-commercially does not require anything more than your class D license, now taking some kind of commerical class or getting your CDL is not a bad idea, but not required.

11b1776

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
It has been changing over the years, but a lot of the big racers used a tractor trailer to haul their stuff from race to race, without the need of a CDL.

FullAuto

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I thought it had to do with GVWR. If the GVWR is >26k, you need a CDL. I didn't think private use only was a factor. Can someone link to something saying you can drive >26k GVWR for private use without a CDL?

SMS

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Link to Oklahoma's flowchart....seems it's needed if over 26K UNLESS it is privately owned for recreational use. See the note at the bottom. http://www.dps.state.ok.us/ohp/needcdl.pdf

But in line with the topic, a M900 series in normal config is less than 20K. So depending on the computation of the GVWR, no CDL would be required....or would it fall under the privately owned for recreational use clause?

Latest posts

Top Bottom