Surplus armored vehicles and deuce and a half trucks

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WTJ

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Link to Oklahoma's flowchart....seems it's needed if over 26K UNLESS it is for recreational use. See the note at the bottom. http://www.dps.state.ok.us/ohp/needcdl.pdf

But in line with the topic, a M900 series in normal config is less than 20K. So depending on the computation of the GVWR, no CDL would be required.

There is also a list of exemptions at the bottom. We should now debate the term 'Military Vehicles'. I shall start. I interpret this to mean vehicles operated by the military.

I was positive the next response would be a link to the Goole search page.

SMS

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Link to Oklahoma's flowchart....seems it's needed if over 26K UNLESS it is privately owned for recreational use. See the note at the bottom. http://www.dps.state.ok.us/ohp/needcdl.pdf

But in line with the topic, a M900 series in normal config is less than 20K. So depending on the computation of the GVWR, no CDL would be required....or would it fall under the privately owned for recreational use clause?

There is also a list of exemptions at the bottom. We should now debate the term 'Military Vehicles'. I shall start. I interpret this to mean vehicles operated by the military.

I was positive the next response would be a link to the Goole search page.

I mentioned the exemptions. Now define recreational vehicle...or how does the state define it? LOL.

Either way, if the GVWR of the 900 series turns out to be below the 26K it doesn't need a CDL regardless of whether or not it has airbrakes right?

WTJ

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I mentioned the exemptions. Now define recreational vehicle...or how does the state define it? LOL.

Either way, if the GVWR of the 900 series turns out to be below the 26K it doesn't need a CDL regardless of whether or not it has airbrakes right?

I would say yes. Look at some of the horse hauling rigs around these days, and I wouldn't think the 150mi radius rule for farm trucks would apply. If you built yourself a Class 8 "motorhome" I think it would be exempt.

Saw the note, and got a chuckle out of the 'military vehicles'.

Fyrtwuck

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
A little off the subject, but a CDL is also not needed for a fire truck of any size or weight in OK. I thought that was pretty cool when I started driving one.

mr ed

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Depending upon what you are going to use the vehicle for, TMVG Tulsa Military Vehicle Group got a special vehicle registration law passed a few years ago.
For vehicles driven only in parades, exhibits, recreation etc. (not a daily driver) you can register it using the military hood numbers instead of a license plate.
that way no ugly plate hanging off it. As long as its a restored vehicle, as in OD, Camo, AF blue no hot pink or firehouse red.

11b1776

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The heavy M939 series I seen were around 23,000lbs, but the extra long version M927/M928 are right at 26,000lbs. Everything I know about Oklahoma law is if your using these trucks for non-commerical use, CDL laws do not apply to you.

Latest posts

Top Bottom