Taurus PT 1911 review

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

technetium-99m

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
I had one as my first 1911 and I will admit, it shot great, never once jammed on me and nothing broke off of it. Shot well over 1000 rds through it, sold it to a friend of mine, he's probably put close to a 1000 rds through it and it is still in once piece, we strip it down everytime and never find any defects. Maybe I got lucky and got a needle in a hay stack but what can I say, I was very satisfied with the way it performed. He's pretty happy with it as well.

Mine started to fall apart after 6K, it got to around 9-10K (I got myself a wide gun) and is currently being traded away with the only Taurus parts being the frame, slide, and barrel.

I'd like to reinforce my statement that when I got mine it was about $430 out the door at a gun show. For that money I was and am happy with buying it. The last time I looked at H&H they were $600+, and they are not worth that amount of money (haven't researched prices anywhere else though). $600 will buy you a much better gun right now.

I'd like to chime in about the documented problem with the thumb safeties. On mine the frame is blended all the way up and into the frame hole where the safety pins the grip safety in. It looks like some hamfisted neanderthal kept grinding away at this area until he went most of the way through the thumb safety until very little metal held the safety proper and the pin together. This is where mine broke. Coincedentally, this may be the only part actually done by a person. The rest of the gun is just slapped together with parts out of bins and some really crappy mags are thrown in the box before it goes out the door.

grwd

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
metal injection molding

It allows tight consistent tolerances right out of the mold with little to no finish machining.

Why bad? Its usually strong enough, but not as strong as machined from forged stock metal.

The hearsay is that there can be weaknesses if not done properly.

I carry a gun with MIM parts almost every day, so its not necessarily crap.

Latest posts

Top Bottom