taurus VS. rock island?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

edg8687

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
I own a PT1911 and have spent quite a bit of time with an RIA GI. My Taurus has functioned flawlessly eating all I fed it. The RIA GI functioned equally well. However after both guns had gone through break in, the RIA developed quite a bit of slop in the slide and barrel lock up, while the Taurus did not. I know depending on what you use your gun for this may notbe a big deal for some, but I found the poor lockup concerningon the RIA

WhiteyMacD

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I own a PT1911 and have spent quite a bit of time with an RIA GI. My Taurus has functioned flawlessly eating all I fed it. The RIA GI functioned equally well. However after both guns had gone through break in, the RIA developed quite a bit of slop in the slide and barrel lock up, while the Taurus did not. I know depending on what you use your gun for this may notbe a big deal for some, but I found the poor lockup concerningon the RIA

I can understand the slop in the slide, but you need to explain this slop in barrel lockup.

edg8687

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
When the slide was forward on the gun, you could take your finger and press lightly on the chamber and the barrel would move in the slide. I understand that this is common in broken in 1911s, but this was the worst slop I had seen. Forgive my ignorance and help me understand but it seems to me that the slide/barrel fit was poor and/or the toggle link was sloppy. It affected the accuracy as time went on as well so the barrel wasnt returning to the same position shot to shot.

WhiteyMacD

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
When the slide was forward on the gun, you could take your finger and press lightly on the chamber and the barrel would move in the slide. I understand that this is common in broken in 1911s, but this was the worst slop I had seen. Forgive my ignorance and help me understand but it seems to me that the slide/barrel fit was poor and/or the toggle link was sloppy. It affected the accuracy as time went on as well so the barrel wasnt returning to the same position shot to shot.

Weird. I can understand some play, but that sounds like a component has failed. Checked the barrel link and/or recoil spring/rod? Other than that, I dont know the technical name for them, but the ridges on the top of the barrel and the grooves inside the slide, are those worn?

Wall

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Weird. I can understand some play, but that sounds like a component has failed. Checked the barrel link and/or recoil spring/rod? Other than that, I dont know the technical name for them, but the ridges on the top of the barrel and the grooves inside the slide, are those worn?

I believe they're called lugs.
My guess would be on the link or the pin portion of the slide stop (that passes thru the frame & link) may have got bent somehow. I wouldn't chalk this up to break in though, unless you have a pretty serious break in for your pistols. I'd think this should only be seen on very well used 1911's.

edg8687

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Now that we are talking about it I would love to see the gun, my friend sold it (for a glock!). My suspicion is that the toggle link was worn in a way that allowed the barrel to drop out of the grooves in the slide. We are getting into territory that I suppose a 1911 smith could explain. To be fair to the RIA this could have been a lemon. I didnt think that it was unsafe to fire, but there was greater movement than I had ever experienced with other 1911s. I tend to be a bit of a stickler with fit, (I was spoiled by my dad's Colt Gold Cup and Springer Trophy Match) but I bought the Taurus expecting it to get loose. So far it hasnt with over a thousand rounds feeling closer to the Springers I have been fortunate to shoot (I am in college and guns are low on the list for funds) The RIA GI that my buddy had loosened up after a few hundred rounds. The short break in was well appreciated.

WhiteyMacD

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Now that we are talking about it I would love to see the gun, my friend sold it (for a glock!). My suspicion is that the toggle link was worn in a way that allowed the barrel to drop out of the grooves in the slide. We are getting into territory that I suppose a 1911 smith could explain. To be fair to the RIA this could have been a lemon. I didnt think that it was unsafe to fire, but there was greater movement than I had ever experienced with other 1911s. I tend to be a bit of a stickler with fit, (I was spoiled by my dad's Colt Gold Cup and Springer Trophy Match) but I bought the Taurus expecting it to get loose. So far it hasnt with over a thousand rounds feeling closer to the Springers I have been fortunate to shoot (I am in college and guns are low on the list for funds) The RIA GI that my buddy had loosened up after a few hundred rounds. The short break in was well appreciated.

It could have been a lemon in regards to poor barrel/slide fit. It may have been just within tolerance enough when new that the barrel lugs could engage. After a little wear, they no longer would hold. So could have been a defective barrel link assembly/slide stop pin which lead to premature failure, or a bad barrel/slide fit. At any rate, most likely a defect.

Latest posts

Top Bottom