TCSO: Deputy shouldn't be charged because he confused his weapons (video)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

_CY_

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
look at the horse hockey being printed on national news now ... looks like Sheriff Stanley Glantz is now in the media's not so flattering spot light ...

=============

Tulsa’s Killer Cop Was Sheriff’s Sugar Daddy

cdn.thedailybeast.com_content_dailybeast_articles_2015_04_14_t6e6281f93a742dc55d6d821487f497f7.jpg

The volunteer cop charged with fatally shooting an unarmed man plied the sheriff’s department with trips and gear, former officers say.

The Tulsa deputy charged with manslaughter for fatally shooting an unarmed black man was the sheriff’s sugar daddy-treating him to exotic cruises and fishing trips-former officers with the sheriff’s department told The Daily Beast.

Volunteer cop Robert Bates, 73, made national headlines after authorities released a video of the senior officer mistaking his gun for a Taser and killing Eric Harris, 44, during a bungled sting operation. “Oh, I shot him. I’m sorry,” Bates can be heard on the police cameras after yelling, “Taser!”

Hours before the Tulsa County district attorney charged Bates with second-degree manslaughter on Monday, Sheriff Stanley Glanz defended the deputy-who is his longtime friend and served as his insurance agent and onetime election campaign chair.

"He made an error," Glanz told the Tulsa World. "How many errors are made in an operating room every week?"

Glanz also showed a Tulsa World reporter cellphone photos of him fishing with Bates, a millionaire insurance executive. "Bob and I both love to fish," he said. "Is it wrong to have a friend?"

Still, former officers with the sheriff’s department told The Daily Beast that Bates was a “pay to play” policeman. The businessman donated thousands of dollars worth of vehicles and equipment to the force.

“Bob Bates came on board because he had all this money,” one former reserve deputy said, adding that the sheriff and other higher-ups would “go on these cruises in the Bahamas and in Mexico all the time.”

“[Bates] foots the bill,” the deputy added. “The sheriff just gave him free rein because he was treating him right. He bought his way into this position.”
http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2015/04/14/tulsa-shooter-was-sheriff-s-sugar-daddy.html

JD8

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The end of that article is pure fabrication. The lawsuit that involves him selling his old company went to federal court and he won, rightly so I might add. Basically amounts to a big box insurance company trying to bully all his agents and it didn't work. His counter suit along with 15 agents is still pending so I really can't really go into it for much further than that.

henschman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Looks like the result of more victimless gun control law BS to me... unless they were trying to get stolen guns back or something... but "gun buy" suggests they were enforcing some sort of possession-based gun control law like felon in possession, or possession of prohibited/restricted firearms.

Just another issue to chew on along with the obvious and throughly-discussed deficiency in training, employment of unqualified personnel, and nepotism/corruption.

RidgeHunter

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Looks like the result of more victimless gun control law BS to me... unless they were trying to get stolen guns back or something... but "gun buy" suggests they were enforcing some sort of possession-based gun control law like felon in possession, or possession of prohibited/restricted firearms.

Just another issue to chew on along with the obvious and throughly-discussed deficiency in training, employment of unqualified personnel, and nepotism/corruption.
At least one person on OSA is consistent with their libertarian ideology.

JD8

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score

A convicted felon selling stolen guns within a meth ring wasn't good enough? It's not like they were hitting up armslist for law abiding citizens.

henschman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
A convicted felon selling stolen guns within a meth ring wasn't good enough? It's not like they were hitting up armslist for law abiding citizens.

Where did you hear that? Got a link or anything? I never saw anything specific on what exactly they were trying to arrest Harris for other than that it was a "gun buy."

BadgeBunny

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Why is that? We have numerous reserves at my agency. The vast majority are good deputies who want to help their community.... the few who don't fall into that category rarely show up to work and are removed.

Nothing screams poor craftsmanship like wrinkles in your duct tape

I see you guys have already discussed the answer to your question at length ... I have a real hard time with someone not being able to differentiate between a tazer and a loaded gun. Especially in a situation like this one where I am questioning why he even felt the need to shoot either into a "crowd" of people anyway, given that it certainly appears that the now dead guy was being held down by several officers and cuffs were imminent.

I agree completely with you that the vast majority of reserve officers out there are good deputies ... and that they want to help out ... but I'm really uncomfortable with the whole volunteer-status thing. Always have been ... It has nothing to do with the character of the individuals volunteering and more to do with the fact that I think any department that uses volunteer officers is taking advantage of the citizens they are supposed to be serving. I've already said, like yukonjack, that I think at his age he had no business being out there anyway ... You will never convince me he wasn't a disaster just waiting to happen. If it hadn't been this incident it would have been something else because there is no way he is capable of truly assisting in a physical altercation IMHO. He may not be frail but he's not exactly in his prime either. Boots on the ground LE work is for young men, not some old fart who can sit through the classes and tough out a week of PT once a year ...

LE is not the most dangerous job in the world but when things go wrong they go wrong really, really badly ... Case in point, "Mr. Opps, I'm Sorry" here ... Good thing he has the money to hire a team of lawyers. He's gonna need them. Culpable negligence being what it is and all ...

I'm all for getting the bad guys off the street ... I'm not all for shooting them all and letting God sort them out ... lol ... No matter what I said at that ENS that time! :wink2:

rgoodjr

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Why in the name of Mr Ed's balls was a reserve deputy working an undercover sting? Why are reserve officers used for anything other than directing traffic and crossing guards?

Exactly, The sheriff's department is also to blame in this issue. Reserve deputies should not be working undercover.

Latest posts

Top Bottom