That wasnt very nice.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fishfurlife

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The burning was done on Saturday and the weather conditions exceeded the burning limits for the city ordinances. No one was allowed to burn. any other time residents are to call the fire dept. to see if they are allowed to burn and to get a burn permit (which are free) before doing any burning. If they live outside the city limits, We ask them to call but they do not have to. If the fire dept. is called out there for any reason they can be fined.

If you don't mind me asking, what are your city burn parameters?? Based on the weather in your area yesterday, it looked far less than volatile.

springfieldxd23

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
not trying to be a jerk but im not going to write down the whole open burn permit information sheet but as far as burn bans in the city goes this is straight from the sheet. "If a RED FLAG ALERT is in affect the person responsible for the fire may voluntarily postpone the burn until the alert is lifted. This information can be found on the Oklahoma Department of Agriculture Web Site. (The rule of thumb is if the wind is blowing over 15mph and it is dry out.)" If you deal with fires all the time then you would understand that the land in Oklahoma is very dry right now everywhere and that even though the humidity came up some yesterday and the little to no rain that we have gotten around the area we are still in high fire danger conditions.

fishfurlife

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Humidity plays a major role in rate of spread of fire. Wind only helps it out. Available moisture in the soil contributes to current Rh values as well, but they can't be used to say it is worse. Even with little moister in the ground, the humidity will govern the rate of spread of fire. In other words, you don't get out of control fires on days the humidity is 34 percent as a low. One thing dry ground does for sure is makes a low Rh day even worse.

The problem with most trash burning or slash burning is that the individual is not looking ahead a few days. It is day two or three when the pile is still smoldering and the weather gets crappy that the problems almost always occur. I am not arguing that your neighbor was in the wrong in some way or another, but I would argue that yesterday was a high fire danger day. I will leave it at that.

BadgeBunny

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
From another thread but seems entirely appropriate to the thread here also.

Originally Posted by ignerntbend :
Common sense, that's a whole nother can o worms.

WTF is wrong with people??

redneck1861

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
not trying to be a jerk but im not going to write down the whole open burn permit information sheet but as far as burn bans in the city goes this is straight from the sheet. "If a RED FLAG ALERT is in affect the person responsible for the fire may voluntarily postpone the burn until the alert is lifted. This information can be found on the Oklahoma Department of Agriculture Web Site. (The rule of thumb is if the wind is blowing over 15mph and it is dry out.)" If you deal with fires all the time then you would understand that the land in Oklahoma is very dry right now everywhere and that even though the humidity came up some yesterday and the little to no rain that we have gotten around the area we are still in high fire danger conditions.

Its not just in the City either, I live in the country on 120 acres and don't live in any town or city, but when there is a Red Flag Burn Ban, it is illegal for us to burn. Its simple, just wait until the ban drops and then burn. Its not worth the risk of burning down peoples homes, just to get rid of your trash.

Thank you for volunteering as a Fire Fighter. About 5 years ago, we were under a red flag burn ban, and the people that have the land next to our's kids were out playing with fireworks. A fire started and burned about 1000 acres. luckily no houses were burnt down, only a few sheds. We had Fire Fighters from all over the state out here trying to get it under control. I think most of them were volunteers, and they spent about 36 hours working on it

Bierhunter

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I always check this site before doing any burning of anything. It's quick and informative.
http://www.forestry.ok.gov/burn-ban-information

It kills me when I hear people say "just a volunteer"

Without volunteers, we'd be lost. Fire, LE, medical, SAR, and many others are filled with volunteers who bust their butts helping others for free. I used to do volunteer SAR many moons ago, but I'm not involved in anything currently.

A big thank you to all you volunteers out there.

Latest posts

Top Bottom