The fence in the middle of the interstate

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GeneW

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The Fence In The Middle Of The Interstate???

When I saw that I immediately thought of Wyoming. They have fence gates they can close across I-80 (and other highways) to close the Interstate when they have really bad weather in the winter. For real, no joke.

If you've never been up there and seen these huge gates on the side of the highways it's really odd, but that's what they have to do, and will do, as needed in stop traffic in really bad weather. The purpose is a best attempt to help prevent accidents in blizzard conditions, and not have to go out and rescue people who are broken down etc.

Ya can't be a sissy and live in Wyoming, for sure.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score

When I saw that I immediately thought of Wyoming. They have fence gates they can close across I-80 (and other highways) to close the Interstate when they have really bad weather in the winter. For real, no joke.

If you've never been up there and seen these huge gates on the side of the highways it's really odd, but that's what they have to do, and will do, as needed in stop traffic in really bad weather. The purpose is a best attempt to help prevent accidents in blizzard conditions, and not have to go out and rescue people who are broken down etc.

Been there, seen that. I have a buddy that moved from OKC to Rawlins Wy three years ago. We stopped in to visit for a few days two years ago on the 4th of July in our travels.
There must be close to a thousand hotel rooms or more in that little town of 8300 people to accommodate the folks that have to stop because of the winter storms and gate closures.
He has to dig tunnels through the winter snows from his front door to the truck that are 5’ high at times. Ice fishing is the winter sport.
Big game Hunting seasons are just opening in Wy. They don’t hunt in the winter.

okietool

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score

I’ve been in Wyoming and had the gates closing behind me.
35 below 0 30 mph winds and 18” of snow somewhere.

DavidMcmillan

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score

The company I retired from has a plant and trona mine in Green River and the first time I visited them, I wasn’t sure what the gates were for. They explained quickly, since the visit was during winter…..

Latest posts

Top Bottom