The Good Death

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hobbes

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
and the right way to die.

http://video.pbs.org/video/2280706814

American Experience, one of the best documentary series on TV IMO.
This is one episode of a series on the civil war.

This thread is about the consequences of the civil war, not the causes.
I'll ask the moderators to lock the thread if you go there.

This is purely about the way America learned to deal with death on a scale such that in contemporary terms would equal 7 million dead.

Pay particular attention to the attitudes that early Americans held toward death before the war and how those attitudes were changed by the war.

TwoForFlinching

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
This is purely about the way America learned to deal with death on a scale such that in contemporary terms would equal 7 million dead...

I'm fairly confident that everyone involved in the American civil war died.

Good video

Hobbes

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I thought it was interesting.

Memorial day(Decoration Day)
Ambulances
Enbalmation
National Cemeteries

To me it links the present with the past and I find that interesting.

Lurker66

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Good video, i have several questions and thoughts.

I wonder if the average citizen on either side argued if the war was about states rights or the institution of slavery? Both issues would seem petty to me considering the sheer numbers of dead.

Absolutly unimaginable today.

I wonder if the common soldier who survived and witnessed the horror of seeing that much death, thought the "cause" was worth the cost?

I must agree with Lincoln, i cannot imagine a divided United States or seeing the institution of slavery exist. Knowing polititions and understanding politics, there was no way there could have ever been a political compromise. It could only be decided by war.

Billybob

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
It's said some in the North bought replacements and some in the South sent their young men to Europe, guess they didn't think it was worth it.

In the past death was a more integral part of the family and life. Have we distanced ourselves so much from the process and experience of death that we've lessened our valuing of life and lost some of our humanity?

Last edited:

Lurker66

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Yes, that too. When my gradmother passed at a nursing home 3 years ago, we had over 40 family members packed in her room and hallway. I would hate to die alone.

Billybob

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
When my brother passed I'd been at the hospital for days. His wife convinced me to go home and have a break, he passed less than an hour later just him and her in the room, not sure but I like to think it's how they both wanted it.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Top Bottom