The Good Death

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Billybob

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
When I was young I had a kind of traumatic death experience that taught me how real it was, it sucked.
I've only seen the first part of the Civil War video but plan to watch the rest of it.

Hobbes

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
One of the themes in the video was about the common Christian beliefs before the war about dying and the sanctity of the body after death and how those beliefs were changed by the war.
Mangled and missing bodies of loved sons and husbands required a profound change in those beliefs and customs that we still see today.

Before the war enbalming was rare.
During the war, enbalming became necessary in order to return loved ones home for burial and after the war we never stopped enbalming.

SoonerATC

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
I must agree with Lincoln, i cannot imagine a divided United States or seeing the institution of slavery exist. Knowing polititions and understanding politics, there was no way there could have ever been a political compromise. It could only be decided by war.

I agree with your last two sentences. I wonder if the canyon that separates liberals and conservatives today might only ever be decided by war as well.

As for Lincoln and slavery, he was quoted as saying "My paramount objective in this struggle is to save the Union, and it is not either to save or destroy slavery. If I could save the Union without freeing any slaves, I would do it, if I could save it by freeing all the slaves I would do it." The Emancipation Proclamation was not truly about freeing the slaves, it was about giving the North the moral high ground. Both England and France, who were dependent upon Southern cotton exports, were very close to entering the war in favor of the South. If Lincoln could make the war about slavery, the European countries were less likely to intervene lest they be seen as defending slavery.

As for the death issue, it would be hard to imagine Americans killing themselves in that capacity. Europe has had to deal with massive death caused by wars throughout history, but rarely has the US had to do the same.

Billybob

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I wonder if the canyon that separates liberals and conservatives today might only ever be decided by war as well.

As for the death issue, it would be hard to imagine Americans killing themselves in that capacity.

It could only happen again if both sides in their arrogance and greed refuse to comprise/change things like before, and if they refuse may the Lord have mercy on us all because I'm afraid many will not have mercy on each other.

I'm sure it was hard to imagine in 1860 also but look what happened, have we learned from it? What is either side willing to compromise to keep it from happening again?

Lurker66

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
I cant see us having a civil war like before, maybe a revolution. It would be too much of an undertaking to divide our military. Tanks, air power and a real Navy was missing during the civil war.

Billybob

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Depended on who you asked I guess.

"The term "War Between the States" was rarely used during the war but became prevalent afterward in the South, as part of an effort to perpetuate its interpretation of the war."

"During and immediately after the war, U.S. officials and pro-Union writers often referred to Confederates as "Rebels". The earliest histories published in the northern states commonly refer to the Civil War as "the Great Rebellion" or "the War of the Rebellion,"[11] as do many war monuments."

"The official war records of the United States refer to this war as the War of the Rebellion. The records were compiled by the U.S. War Department in a 127-volume collection under the title The War of the Rebellion: a Compilation of the Official Records of the Union and Confederate Armies, published from 1881 to 1901. Historians commonly refer to the collection as the Official Records.[12]"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Naming_the_American_Civil_War#War_of_the_Rebellion

Latest posts

Top Bottom