the hand in pocket draw can beat "the drop"

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

druryj

In Remembrance / Dec 27 2021
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I like it. "The Plinker" just sounds so much better you know, since you aren't really serious about training and practice. More of a chase the pop can around the cow pasture kinda guy right?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Glocktogo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I like it. "The Plinker" just sounds so much better you know, since you aren't really serious about training and practice. More of a chase the pop can around the cow pasture kinda guy right?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yeah, I wouldn't have a clue about real training or competition. ;)

druryj

In Remembrance / Dec 27 2021
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I used to regularly show .19 second, on Bob Arganbright's digital fast draw timer, in 1978. He sold me his old sweep hand krondek timer, about $300 in today's money. It would record times about.03 faster than showed on the digital. I could post .16 reactions on it, any time you wanted to see them, if given 3-5 seconds of delay after I said "set". Such "keyed-in" reaction times are commonplace in Western Fast draw. you just have to learn to focus on the start sound/sight.

Welp, I went to my favorite training site and really focused on the start sound/sight today. I showed an average of .165 seconds; that was given a delay a 3-5 second delay after I said "set" of course. My slowest of the day was a 1.88, my best was a 1.56, so I guess I got old okey doke beat as far as being "fast anyway. Accuracy wasn't too bad, my groups averaged out just under 0.535'', at 25 yards of course, although today I had the mental mind set of "speed" as my first priority. We weren't using a digital fast draw timer, like Okey used back in '78, but a more SWAG kind of thing. Okey doke may have been fairly good, a long time ago, but today's more modern shooters, who are probably more genetically programmed and well, just more well-trained for pure speed, seem to able to beat an average of 1.9 seconds pretty regularly. I'm sorry, okey doke, but in my league, you'd actually just be classified as a plinker. And hey, that's cool...I mean not everyone can be a top hand...especially as you get so much older. It's natural for a shooter to slow down with age, you know. I did ask though, and we have an open slot in our club for someone in the "plinker" division if you'd be interested. Most of the old fellas are using .22's or airsoft of course, so I think you'd fit right in.

Latest posts

Top Bottom