The number of children killed in the next school shooting may be much higher

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beast1989

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The liberals love to talk about guns but they never talk about the common theme with these shootings. The common theme is social misfits and people who are mentally damaged. As a society this segment of our community has for centuries been tabooed and marginalized. Not too mention our increasingly apathetic society simply DGAF as long as the SHTF is not on my door step. This mentality has to end.

America is a dysfunctional society and I really dont know how or if it is even possible to fix it. I may get flamed for this but sometimes I think the epic amounts of diversity our country is lauded for makes it difficult for us to get even small things done. Being PC wouldnt be as big of an issue if we were a slightly more homogeneous culture and we just might actually agree on what core values actually were.

Lastly, I may be stepping on toes but, I find it hard to believe that parents, immediate family or close friends have no clue that some of these people may have been "cracking". Especially for parents I know it could be particularly hard to come to terms with your child not being perfect let alone maybe something actually being wrong with them. I only mention parents because perhaps they alone know these young adults the best and can be the first line of defense when preventing these things. Even though it can be self serving to pretend that your child is simply not the most popular in school, it can be infinitely beneficial to all parties involved to acknowledge that a child is alone and struggling, then work towards treating the problems head on. Time and time again kids who are outcasted, bullied and shunned have gotten their revenge in this manner.

I know that when alone you can go to some pretty dark places and the mind can decay to a state that allows us to carry out acts like this. We need to reform the perceptions of mental illness and how society handles this population. The reality is that no matter how many guns or rights get taken away, these people will still be out there.

Last edited:

farmerbyron

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Interesting that CTs strict gun laws did not stop this massacre. Lanza was denied a purchase of a rifle 3 days before the massacre.

http://www.breitbart.com/Big-Govern...rom-Purchasing-Rifle-Two-Days-Before-Massacre

So the solution proposed by Feinstein is to implement the law that didn't work in CT and take it nationally. We need to confront these morons and ask why they don't want to stop future attacks. They are pushing personal agendas that do nothing to promote the safety of our children. We have to refocus this debate to preventing and/or mitigating another attack. These gun laws proposed do neither.

ignerntbend

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Interesting that CTs strict gun laws did not stop this massacre. Lanza was denied a purchase of a rifle 3 days before the massacre.

http://www.breitbart.com/Big-Govern...rom-Purchasing-Rifle-Two-Days-Before-Massacre

So the solution proposed by Feinstein is to implement the law that didn't work in CT and take it nationally. We need to confront these morons and ask why they don't want to stop future attacks. They are pushing personal agendas that do nothing to promote the safety of our children. We have to refocus this debate to preventing and/or mitigating another attack. These gun laws proposed do neither.

He was twenty years old. Oklahoma's strick gun laws would have prevented him from buying a rifle.

bettingpython

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
oops. My second sentence is the form that we fill out when buying a firearm. Specifically the "have you been diagnosed" question or the silly are you a legal citizen.

I dont think we can ever stop mass killings, but we can tighten up the screening or background checks.

Its against the law for a felon to own guns and if they try it pops up on the background check. Mental people have to be adjudicated. I think this adjudicating process is where we could tighten the laws up. Streamline the adjudicating process, get Dr.s involved. Maybe thats a starting point.

It might not stop all mass murders but it might prevent some murders or suicides.

Doctors are involved, but if you check yourself in for a mental health condition voluntarily and have committed no crime then it remains private health care information. If you go see a mental health professional and they determine you are a danger to yourself or others yet refuse treatment then it becomes a legal record that will show up because a psychologist can hold you involuntarily under those conditions. The only true way to keep mentally unstable people from purchasing firearms is to give the government access to your protected health care information... do you want them to have that invasive a hook into your life?

You go to the doctor your dog died, your moms sick, your wife is leaving you etc. and you tell the doctor your feeling a little down, having some trouble sleeping etc. and you get a prescription for a short term anti depressant you have just entered into a category where you can be precluded from purchasing a firearm and be prevented from getting your CCW because you have just been diagnosed as having a mental health issue. Yet you've done nothing wrong.

The answer is and it remains no compromise.

Unfortunately I see with this incident, Aurora and the affordable health care act that soon government agencies will have access to your personal medical records.

All in the name of protecting us from ourselves.

Is their a good answer for this issue? No there is not unfortunately.

Glocktogo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Doctors are involved, but if you check yourself in for a mental health condition voluntarily and have committed no crime then it remains private health care information. If you go see a mental health professional and they determine you are a danger to yourself or others yet refuse treatment then it becomes a legal record that will show up because a psychologist can hold you involuntarily under those conditions. The only true way to keep mentally unstable people from purchasing firearms is to give the government access to your protected health care information... do you want them to have that invasive a hook into your life?

You go to the doctor your dog died, your moms sick, your wife is leaving you etc. and you tell the doctor your feeling a little down, having some trouble sleeping etc. and you get a prescription for a short term anti depressant you have just entered into a category where you can be precluded from purchasing a firearm and be prevented from getting your CCW because you have just been diagnosed as having a mental health issue. Yet you've done nothing wrong.

The answer is and it remains no compromise.

Unfortunately I see with this incident, Aurora and the affordable health care act that soon government agencies will have access to your personal medical records.

All in the name of protecting us from ourselves.

Is their a good answer for this issue? No there is not unfortunately.

If you read the full HIPAA disclosure, they already do. :(

Billybob

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
So is OK. failing to comply with Fed law or just "recommendations"?

[Delynn Fudge, federal grants division director for the Oklahoma District Attorney's Council, said in August that state lawmakers have been reluctant to adopt legislation that would bring the state into compliance with federal mental health reporting recommendations.

Federal and state law prohibits the sale of firearms to people who have been adjudicated by a court as mentally incompetent, but Oklahoma consistently lags behind other states in supplying mental health records to the national database used for these types of background checks, according to a 2011 report by Mayors Against Illegal Guns, a national gun control advocacy group.

Fudge said state privacy laws and the lack of an integrated court management system keep most of these records from being shared with the agencies that conduct background checks.

That may change in 2013, Martin said Saturday.

With the backing of the District Attorney's Council and the local chapter of the National Rifle Association, he said he's developing a bill now that would permit the sharing of these records for federal background checks....]

http://newsok.com/oklahomas-open-ca...und-checks-for-gun-purchasers/article/3738175

Glocktogo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
So is OK. failing to comply with Fed law or just "recommendations"?

[Delynn Fudge, federal grants division director for the Oklahoma District Attorney's Council, said in August that state lawmakers have been reluctant to adopt legislation that would bring the state into compliance with federal mental health reporting recommendations.

Federal and state law prohibits the sale of firearms to people who have been adjudicated by a court as mentally incompetent, but Oklahoma consistently lags behind other states in supplying mental health records to the national database used for these types of background checks, according to a 2011 report by Mayors Against Illegal Guns, a national gun control advocacy group.

Fudge said state privacy laws and the lack of an integrated court management system keep most of these records from being shared with the agencies that conduct background checks.

That may change in 2013, Martin said Saturday.

With the backing of the District Attorney's Council and the local chapter of the National Rifle Association, he said he's developing a bill now that would permit the sharing of these records for federal background checks....]

http://newsok.com/oklahomas-open-ca...und-checks-for-gun-purchasers/article/3738175

It's not the medical records that should be shared, it's the court records of the adjudication. IIRC, it wasn't a requirement by law due to technological and other issues that could hamper reporting.

Billybob

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
It's not the medical records that should be shared, it's the court records of the adjudication. IIRC, it wasn't a requirement by law due to technological and other issues that could hamper reporting.

If that is the case then I'd agree fully that court records should be reported.

Latest posts

Top Bottom