The number of children killed in the next school shooting may be much higher

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Billybob

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
"Mental" people should not have firearms. I agree with that. I think we all agree with that. How do we go about stopping the Loughners without some sort of suitability test for purchases, or is that a reasonable solution? Even if we did have a test it wont stop the Lanzas of the world killing some body and taking their guns.

Define "mental" people. And if that definition is based on "diagnosed" or "on meds" how do we deal with the reported 110,000 active duty troops on meds? And what about others in our society? If someone is unfit to own a gun do you want them being a daycare worker, teacher, etc.?

Prescribed drugs 'to blame over spate of violence among US soldiers'

More than 110,000 Army personnel were given antidepressants, narcotics, sedatives, antipsychotics and anti-anxiety drugs while on duty last year, according to new figures by the US Army Surgeon General.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/wor...over-spate-of-violence-among-US-soldiers.html

RyanSixer

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Should teachers be armed? At least two states (Utah and New Hampshire) now authorize concealed-carry permits in schools, according to Grossman, and the Federal Safe Schools Act allows for it. Faculty with military experience and a willingness to receive additional training could be a starting point.

That's from the "Killology" DA 20 linked to. Is that true? Could a state law provide for teacher's carrying? I think someone should start a new bill...

cjjtulsa

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Define "mental" people. And if that definition is based on "diagnosed" or "on meds" how do we deal with the reported 110,000 active duty troops on meds? And what about others in our society? If someone is unfit to own a gun do you want them being a daycare worker, teacher, etc.?

More than 110,000 Army personnel were given antidepressants, narcotics, sedatives, antipsychotics and anti-anxiety drugs while on duty last year, according to new figures by the US Army Surgeon General.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/wor...over-spate-of-violence-among-US-soldiers.html

And you bring up a good point. A guy I work with is a vet from the sandbox, and has some PTSD. He also has a CCW, and we were discussing the shooting a little Friday afternoon. He said no one should be able to buy a gun without a backround check or CCW permit - even in person-to-person transactions. So what about those that might think a recent war vet with PTSD shouldn't have a concealed carry license and be carrying a firearm? Where do you draw the line, and what criteria do you use? As for the idea that "crazy people shouldn't be able to buy them".....define crazy? I'm sure many shootings are carried out by people that others around them had no idea they were going to spaz out and shoot someone.

uncle money bags

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score

My definition of "mental" as it pertains to this conversation is some body who is adjudicated insane.

Take note that my statement is in bold so that there is no confusion as to where I stand, especially with regard to my brothers.

Latest posts

Top Bottom