The number of children killed in the next school shooting may be much higher

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Glocktogo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
That is the standard of law at this time to restrict gun ownership. Several of the recent shooters were certainly what many would call "mental" but they had never been adjudicated.

These days short of a violent crime, it's damned tough to get a person adjudicated mentally incompetent.

uncle money bags

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The Colorado shooter told his shrink he wanted to kill people but was not reported.

Exactly my point. The question is what can the shrink do with this info? If the shrink believes the person to be sincere about killing people, why would she not tell some body?

Exactly, the conversation nobody wants to have.

You and I are having the conversation and several people are reading it.

That is the standard of law at this time to restrict gun ownership. Several of the recent shooters were certainly what many would call "mental" but they had never been adjudicated.

I think you are under the misconception that I have suggested that our agreement in not letting "mental" persons own a gun is some sort of panacea or would have some huge impact on stopping people who should not possess a gun from getting one. I certainly dont believe it is. Further, it wont stop anybody from stealing a gun to use in another crime. I stick by my definition of "mental" for this conversation because that is the legally accepted threshold for denying some body their right to own a firearm.

ruckerduck

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Aren't all of you assuming that the guns will be purchased legally? The laws don't mean crap to these people, obviously. It doesn't matter if they bypass the system!

Billybob

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
These days short of a violent crime, it's damned tough to get a person adjudicated mentally incompetent.

The last I knew if someone swore out an affidavit stating a person had acted or made statements of a suicidal or homicidal nature they could be put on a 72hr. hold and possibly be adjudicated depending on the findings over the hold period.

Billybob

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Quote Originally Posted by ruckerduck
Aren't all of you assuming that the guns will be purchased legally? The laws don't mean crap to these people, obviously. It doesn't matter if they bypass the system!

Quote Originally Posted by uncle money bags
Further, it wont stop anybody from stealing a gun to use in another crime.

Those are true statements because criminals and true "crazies" don't care about laws.

Lurker66

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
You guys are making me proud to be discussing this issue. It takes balls to discuss this on a very pro gun forum. Mainly because after you flesh the arguments out, you will see that some people must, temporarily or permanatly lose the right to purchase firearms. Much like felons.

Please continue and thanks.

NikatKimber

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator
Reaction score
You guys are making me proud to be discussing this issue. It takes balls to discuss this on a very pro gun forum. Mainly because after you flesh the arguments out, you will see that some people must, temporarily or permanatly lose the right to purchase firearms. Much like felons.

I don't think it should be permanent.

uncle money bags

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score

How so? Are there persons here who think insane people without a felony conviction should possess firearms?

I don't think it should be permanent.

I have a friend who worked as a stall psychologist at Griffin in Norman. I would respectfully disagree that it should not be permanent in some cases.

Lurker66

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
My thinking of a permanant ban is that some peoples mental status wont ever change, alzhiemers for example. There are other conditions as well.

Anytime a conversation revolves around a touchy subject of reducing gun rights or restricting ownership you risk being labled as something youre not. You could lose freinds or potential freinds by voicing a different opinion or unpopular solution. And lastly some people have drawn a line and have the mentality of either with us or against us. You become the enemy.

So yes it takes balls.

Latest posts

Top Bottom