The Pledge of Allegiance

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

caliberbob

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
So I’m curious to get all your thoughts. Went to the highschool football game tonight. It was loud, fun, and exciting. Kids playing and yelling. Almost like a fair or something. The announcer lets everyone know the national anthem will be sung. It goes from loud and crazy to absolute silence other than the girl singing. Everyone turned and faced the flag. Hats off and hands over hearts.

And it got me to thinking about the flag which is a symbol for our country. I grew up doing the pledge through 6th grade but after that we didn’t. At my kids school they do the pledge and I think it’s wonderful. I’ve talked to some people, even conservatives and liberals (obviously) who think the pledge is horrible and no one should have to do it. They have said it’s not right to pledge allegiance to a country or a government or people. But I think the words “I pledge allegiance to the flag. . . . And to the republic for WHICH IT STANDS”, is none of those things. It’s pledging allegiance to what our nation is supposed to be regardless of the times or circumstances. Anyways, just sort of an epiphany I guess. Love our flag. Honored to salute it and say the pledge. How about you all?

Last edited:

hipshot

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
This was a few years ago, both my grandkids stood up and put hands over heart without me saying anything at all when it came on TV before a basketball game! Proud Poppa D here ! They say a lot of prayers too !

Attachments

• IMG_3487.jpeg
    IMG_3487.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 0

Bocephus123

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
So I’m curious to get all your thoughts. Went to the highschool football game tonight. It was loud, fun, and exciting. Kids playing and yelling. Almost like a fair or something. The announcer lets everyone know the national will be sung. It goes from loud and crazy to absolute silence other than the girl singing. Everyone turned and faced the flag. Hats off and hands over hearts.

And it got me to thinking about the flag which is a symbol for our country. I grew up doing the pledge through 6th grade but after that we didn’t. At my kids school they do the pledge and I think it’s wonderful. I’ve talked to some people, even conservatives and liberals (obviously) who think the pledge is horrible and no one should have to do it. They have said it’s not right to pledge allegiance to a country or a government or people. But I think the words “I pledge allegiance to the flag. . . . And to the republic for WHICH IT STANDS”, is none of those things. It’s pledging allegiance to what our nation is supposed to be regardless of the times or circumstances. Anyways, just sort of an epiphany I guess. Love our flag. Honored to salute it and say the pledge. How about you all?
Amen ! it's scary to think of the years ahead.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
No one stands or recognizes the pledge in my HS class. It’s sad, but mostly it’s ignorant
You're a teacher, teach them.
First lesson:

https://www.legion.org/flag/questions-answers/91112/who-wrote-pledge-allegiance
The original Pledge of Allegiance was written by Francis Bellamy. It was first given wide publicity through the official program of the National Public Schools Celebration of Columbus Day which was printed in The Youth’s Companion of September 8, 1892, and at the same time sent out in leaflet form to schools throughout the country.

School children first recited the Pledge of Allegiance this way: “I pledge allegiance to my Flag and to the Republic for which it stands one Nation indivisible, with Liberty and Justice for all.”

“The flag of the United States” replaced the words “my Flag” in 1923 because some foreign-born people might have in mind the flag of the country of their birth instead of the United States flag. A year later, “of America” was added after “United States.”

No form of the Pledge received official recognition by Congress until June 22, 1942, when the Pledge was formally included in the U.S. Flag Code. The official name of The Pledge of Allegiance was adopted in 1945. The last change in language came on Flag Day 1954, when Congress passed a law, which added the words “under God” after “one nation.”

My Sons were taught flag etiquette when very young. Both to this day have a flagpole in their yards, properly displayed.

Gunbuffer

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
You're a teacher, teach them.
First lesson:

https://www.legion.org/flag/questions-answers/91112/who-wrote-pledge-allegiance
The original Pledge of Allegiance was written by Francis Bellamy. It was first given wide publicity through the official program of the National Public Schools Celebration of Columbus Day which was printed in The Youth’s Companion of September 8, 1892, and at the same time sent out in leaflet form to schools throughout the country.

School children first recited the Pledge of Allegiance this way: “I pledge allegiance to my Flag and to the Republic for which it stands one Nation indivisible, with Liberty and Justice for all.”

“The flag of the United States” replaced the words “my Flag” in 1923 because some foreign-born people might have in mind the flag of the country of their birth instead of the United States flag. A year later, “of America” was added after “United States.”

No form of the Pledge received official recognition by Congress until June 22, 1942, when the Pledge was formally included in the U.S. Flag Code. The official name of The Pledge of Allegiance was adopted in 1945. The last change in language came on Flag Day 1954, when Congress passed a law, which added the words “under God” after “one nation.”

My Sons were taught flag etiquette when very young. Both to this day have a flagpole in their yards, properly displayed.
Lol
It’s that easy

Pstmstr

AKA Michael Cox. Back by popular demand.
Special Hen Banned
Reaction score
Years ago I got a call from school about a stepson and in the conversation on that issue the teacher mentioned he wasn't standing up for the pledge. When he got home I got a globe out of his closet and asked him to pick a country he would like a one way ticket to. I also told him if he didn't stand and recite the flag I was coming up to the school and ask to do an assembly where I would talk about patriotism. I would also let everyone know I was his stepdad. All bluffs of course but I called the teacher back and he said he was standing and reciting the pledge. It should be required daily in all schools but of course it's just one more thing that is disappearing due to wokeness and lenient school administration.
Is the school not allowing the students to learn flag etiquette?

Latest posts

Top Bottom