The Shotty Showdown! Mossberg 500/590 vs Remington 870. Which one and why?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Which do you prefer?

• Mossberg 500/590

• Remington 870

Results are only viewable after voting.

magna19

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Rem 870 here !!! I would have to shoot a Mossberg quite a bit to overcome the safety location issue. And that probably wont ever happen. So Rem 870 it is. Also the Browning and Benelli safety location are the same. So any shotgun I use for hunting or defense has the same safety location.

magna19

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've never seen a real reason to prefer a pump gun over a semi auto.
You don't see a reason why you or others or anyone not prefer a pump over a semi-auto. Not all but for some why the pump is a better choice. Some gun owners its the only one they have. In reality the cost of a reliable semi-auto compared to a reliable pump is generally close to 3x the price or more. And to name a few other reasons why

Reliability switching from different power loads, brands, etc.

Many semi autos have trouble with less lethal loads and low recoil loads.

Easier to be taught the function a pump and safer for most new owners.

With the pump almost anyone can be using within a very short time with adequate instruction and not be a danger to themselves or others.

Some semi-auto shotguns usually have cycling issues when not held properly.

And for the one hand theory, Most cant shoot either shouldered with one hand, try shooting an auto one handed from the waist and see if it cycles. Not all do

And for an experienced or not if you pull the trigger and their is not a shell chambered for what ever reason the pump is quicker to chamber one from the magazine.

Some owners prefer a pump not chambered for additional safety to less experienced household.

OK im done and back to trimming cases.

APH Tactical

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
some time early in the new year, there will be a two piece 80% receiver available that uses mossberg components and ar15 trigger, safety, grip, and stock.

it's a thing of beauty.
25158363_727566277433163_8288463942261795244_n.jpg

Ok. So at the risk of sounding sarcastic (which I'm not), I'm not 100% sure I get why?

So the AR trigger system I get, and I genuinely can't wait to see the guys wondering why their getting light primer strikes lol.

And I love the fact that it's 80%. That makes it easy for us manufactures to finish it and sell it as our own, if the price was right, and since it's never been manufactured as a shotgun, we could make them into "firearms" like the Shockwave and Tac-14, except for the fact that it won't fit that same pistol grip to allow the buyer to take a few inches off the barrel.

And why are they making it in two pieces? Am I to assume that the trigger area is the only unfinished portion?

And now that I really look at it, it seems like the top of the rail is VERY high over bore using the ejection port as reference points.

Also, which company is this, I can't read their name on it? And if there's a siite link or forum you found this on, I'd love to take a further look into it and any other products they might have.

Thanks Otis,
Mike

otis147

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
a buddy started a fb group a couple years ago, trying to get somebody to develop an 80% mossberg 500 receiver.
https://m.facebook.com/groups/905736236146919

couple months ago, he met a guy on another page with cnc equipment, and they got talking. dude comes up with this two piece design. he's got the lower part completed, the upper should be done this weekend. i dont know why he did two piece, but he's planning to get an atf letter because some 3rd party is interested...

couple weeks ago, another guy shows up with standard 80% mossberg receiver about ready for distribution. think he left and started another group.

so we now have access to 80% carbines, handguns, shotguns, and my buddy is beating the drum for rem 700 80s now.

APH Tactical

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Rock Island M5.
Thanks Mac. I've had nothing but great experiences with RIA, but hasn't been on their site for some time, and am happy to see that their product line has grown substantially in the past year or so. This him looks to be a great weapon for the price!

Why not a Benelli Nova
The Nova is a great gun. Beats an OEM Mossy/Remy hands down.

I've never seen a real reason to prefer a pump gun over a semi auto.

Not to take away from all of the above mentioned reasons, but a big one is that it's easier to get back in the fight. If you run across a hard primer, or any other "click, no bang" scenario, it's much faster to get that shell out of the chamber, re-chamber, and get back on target with a pump, and I don't think anyone would try to dispute that.

Now having said that... I currently have one of our R&D Bored&Ported 930s sitting beside, but it features overbored gas ports, reduced weight firing pin spring, increased power hammer spring and a very long list of modifications aimed directly at reliability, not the least of which being a fully polished chamber which, in my opinion, is a MUST for any 12ga.

Take Care,
Mike

Ignored Member

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
I'v owned two 870's, two 500's a 590 and a Maverick 88.
The only advantage the Remington had over the 500 or Maverick was the ability to put a tube extension on it, but that gets solved with the 590.

Latest posts

Top Bottom