The Thrill of Flying the SR-71 Blackbird

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fyrtwuck

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I got to stand guard on them when I was in the UK. (RAF Mildenhall) I never saw any Fire Department vehicles do anything except standby from a distance when they came back from a mission. I was really surprised to see the legendary U-2 over there too.

Jack T.

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Brian Shul, who wrote "Sled Driver: Flying the World's Fastest Jet" used to carry business cards around with him. Cards which read "For all you do, this boom's for you."

Just a subtle reminder to the leaders of Cuba, Korea, Russia, [insert rouge nation here]. . .when you hear that boom overhead, you know we're watching!

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I got to stand guard on them when I was in the UK. (RAF Mildenhall) I never saw any Fire Department vehicles do anything except standby from a distance when they came back from a mission. I was really surprised to see the legendary U-2 over there too.

I guess that answers that question.
My way of thinking was that slowing down, and coming in to land should have passed enough air over the fuselage to cool it down before it landed, but what did I know, I wasn't there. My redneck reasoning prevailed.

Fyrtwuck

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I guess that answers that question.
My way of thinking was that slowing down, and coming in to land should have passed enough air over the fuselage to cool it down before it landed, but what did I know, I wasn't there. My redneck reasoning prevailed.

Don't mean it never happened, just that I never saw it.

Scamp

Sharpshooter
Reaction score

When were you stationed at Mildenhall? I was at Lakenheath from 82-84.

madokie

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
the wright patterson A/F base in dayton ohio ,has a sr-71, b-36, the b-70 ,117 stealth fighter, and lots more, and you can touch them too.

Latest posts

Top Bottom