The War on Independent Truckers

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OK Corgi Rancher

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Banned Supporter
Reaction score
There's no shortage of drivers. Hell...I have a Class A with all the endorsements. There is a shortage of drivers willing to work for the pay and conditions they're being asked to work under.

That's one reason there are so many foreign drivers on the road. The skilled trucker is an endangered species as the older guys quit and/or retire. They're being replaced by foreign and other inexperienced drivers right out of school who see it as a job, not a profession, like the old-timers.

SlugSlinger

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
They already are and have been since DEF was required. Same goes with agriculture and heavy equipment.
I bought a 2014 tractor instead of new because of the emissions, including DEF.

There are so many issues with the emissions on new equipment, it’s causing delays and a lot of extra maintenance/replacement of emissions related parts expense.

Old semi-tractors that don't require DEF are about to be a hot commodity.

jakeman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
They already are and have been since DEF was required. Same goes with agriculture and heavy equipment.
I bought a 2014 tractor instead of new because of the emissions, including DEF.

There are so many issues with the emissions on new equipment, it’s causing delays and a lot of extra maintenance/replacement of emissions related parts expense.
I waited until the warranty was up, but I deleted my F250.

Completely different truck. Really hard to believe how much better they run unless you experience it.

Dumpstick

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've got a 2007 International class 8, with a 2005 Cummins in it. From the factory.

No def, the only emissions crap on it is the EGR. The EGR valve is electrically operated. For some reason, the plug keeps falling off the valve, disconnecting the system.

Don't know how that keeps happening.:anyone:

I eventually just taped up the plug to keep junk from getting in there. It runs just fine (better) without that EGR anyway.

cowadle

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
a trend in urea mfg in the usa is to convert to carbon sequestration. blue or green ammonia or just plain old pump it into the ground and sell the carbon credits. it's mo profitable. in the usa. aaaand no the blue ammonia isn't intended as fertilizer or urea but for hydrogen production or batteries.

turkeyrun

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
There's no shortage of drivers. Hell...I have a Class A with all the endorsements. There is a shortage of drivers willing to work for the pay and conditions they're being asked to work under.

That's one reason there are so many foreign drivers on the road. The skilled trucker is an endangered species as the older guys quit and/or retire. They're being replaced by foreign and other inexperienced drivers right out of school who see it as a job, not a profession, like the old-timers.
^^^^^^

Got off the road 15 years ago. Pay per mile is the same or less today, than I was making.

Between new driving regs, electronic logs, road ragers, idiot dispatch, never home, youngsters not willing to work, PAY, etc; the industry is going to change or falter.

Why do companies like Wal-Mart, Coke, Hobby Lobby operate their own fleet?

Snattlerake

Conservitum Americum
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've got a 2007 International class 8, with a 2005 Cummins in it. From the factory.

No def, the only emissions crap on it is the EGR. The EGR valve is electrically operated. For some reason, the plug keeps falling off the valve, disconnecting the system.

Don't know how that keeps happening.:anyone:

I eventually just taped up the plug to keep junk from getting in there. It runs just fine (better) without that EGR anyway.
Can't the DEF jug just hang there too? Y'know, half filled, so's it looks halfway realistic? Then carry some refills in the cab?

Boaty

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Don’t let a good crisis go to waste. There is NO driver shortage. If the job paid well enough a company would have to turn drivers away. They keep the pay/ freight low enough that nobody wants to haul it so they can cry that there’s a shortage of drivers. The reason is, when enough people cry about not getting their crap they ordered, wether 1 or 2 items to individual or whole truckloads to distribution centers, then the trucking companies believe that congress will let them operate computer controlled driverless trucks on the interstate in all states, with no legal responsibility cuz it will be mandated as an emergency by congress. Driver pay is their biggest expense by far. It also gets rid of Hours of Service regulations. No 30 minute mandatory break, no 10 hour rest at night. They can operate that truck 24 hours a day between terminals, then pay somebody $10 hour to deliver the load locally. Way bigger profits, and will put the Independents and small companies out of business. Wait and see.

Latest posts

Top Bottom