The War on Independent Truckers

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Boaty

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
And while Dear old dad was pulling all those loads nobody else wanted, how many little league games and dance recital’s did he miss? Coming home for a day or 2 after being out on the road for weeks is no life. He made sacrifices for his wife and kids that I promise you he didn’t share the details about with you. So go hire on at Werner, report back in 6 months on your wonderful experiences.

Boaty

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
When congress opens up the use of driverless trucks, and they will, all the owner operators will be out of business. They won’t be able to compete. Unless you got a niche job like oversized/weight haulng. But thats not what we talking about. The topic is the lie you’ve been told that there’s a driver shortage. There’s just not one.
Just like when the Us Government buys a full auto or select fire rifle. On the purchasing form, it is listed as a PERSONAL DEFENSE WEAPON. but somehow, my semi auto AR15 is an “assault weapon”. Because that sounds scary, and they want the public to demand that they take are rites away. That will happen also. Wait and see.

Woodman 59

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
My father was an owner-operator. Even after he retired from driving, he was getting offers to come back on an almost daily basis and that was 20 years ago. A shortage of drivers has been discussed for longer than that and I’m doubtful it will end soon. Most folks don’t want to be out on the road for weeks at a time. As an owner-operator you have the ability to choose when and where you want to go for the most part. You also don’t have to drive if fuel prices increase substantially. Fuel is a major expense when you haul freight, and dad chose when and where to fuel up based upon price and taxes. Some states collect fuel taxes even if you don’t buy fuel in that state.

This country was covered in rail and one time, but that was dismantled when highways were built and trucking offered quicker cheaper freight hauling. Railroads have a place in the transportation chain, but fresh foods have to be moved quickly and a train isn’t going to be that place.
It is called a road use tax, it is covered by IFTA you file for a refund if you don't run in that state. (just FYI) It is an improvement over the old bingo cards you had when each state you run in had to be permitted.

Boaty

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Yes, but from hiredhands quote, you can’t park the truck when you owe the bank $3000.00 a month on truck payment, and insurance and the permits you’ve got that your now not using. It’s amazing all the trucking experts we got here thathave never had a CDL, drove for a company or owned a truck but know all about it.

HiredHand

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
And while Dear old dad was pulling all those loads nobody else wanted, how many little league games and dance recital’s did he miss? Coming home for a day or 2 after being out on the road for weeks is no life. He made sacrifices for his wife and kids that I promise you he didn’t share the details about with you. So go hire on at Werner, report back in 6 months on your wonderful experiences.

Umm… No. He was home longer than a day or two before going out. Sure he was gone for a few weeks at a time, but didn’t miss out on time with the family. That’s the great part of being an owner operator is you decide when, where and how long you’re out on the road. He showed me most of the lower 48 before I was 5 years old and I got to see where the things we use on a daily basis come from. I’ve been to the forests and lumber mills in the PNW and seen skyscrapers across the country wrapped in glass made at the Ford plant from my hometown.

If it was as miserable as you’re experience, I can see why you got out. I can assure you that isn’t the case for everyone that gets behind the wheel.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
All you know about Walmart is what they pay. They want team drivers. Ever try sleeping in a bouncing truck with 45,000 lbs in a 15,000 lbs trailer on these crap roads while somebody else drives, then you get up tired and drive your shift, and Walmart wants 3 weeks out. If you think it’s a great place to work, go sign up. I’d rather be a greater than drive their crap equipment.
I was a team driver for Bekins van lines back when we kept two sets of books for each driver. Start the day lifting and loading for 8-10 hours and then drive most of the night.
When you finished your first book it went under the sleeper mattress and a new book started. Drive until exhausted and then trade. Sleep came pretty easy. I know what hard work and low pay is. We made $2.15 an hour but the 80-90 hour weeks made a livable wage in the 70's with no frills.
Did that for about a year and found other work not because of the driving, but because I'd received a trade in the Army and needed to put it to use in the civilian market.
What I'm hearing on the radio is walmart is "saying" you get more home time, less hours and big pay.
Some trucking companies are advertising you can take your pets with you and so on, and the electronic logs are junk for the most part IMHO.
The Walmart driver that had to drive 9 hours to his terminal in OKC then get in his rig to drive another 10 getting into that wreck, killing some folks when he fell asleep at the wheel is a prime example of why those electronic logs are junk. They don't reflect the actual alertness of a driver.
I respect your time behind the wheel in a big rig, but the increased benefits all of the trucking company's are spouting on the radio these days spell shortage of drivers.
Your in the business, so I'll stop here. I'm sure you hear and talk about it every day.

JD8

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
If your a new driver, with less than a year’s experience, your gonna make around 40k. Iyou don’t start making close to 50k untill you get more than 5 years. And new drivers coming in is what we talking about.

Didn't see where we moved the goalposts to new drivers. It's weird that you say there's no shortage of drivers, but then go on to describe some pressures as to why there's a shortage.

Anyone under 2 years of experience will have a VERY tough time getting on with anyone other than a larger company because of insurance. Otherwise, depending on the situation, a small carrier will see a pretty good increase due to that one individual.

I'll say this, for those drivers starting out, the companies I do know have declared a whole lot more than 40K on their WC payroll and that ain't cheap either, so they are pretty on the spot. Why would they declare that if they weren't paying it to the driver? I surely don't see audits coming back their way.

Last edited:

JD8

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Yes, but from hiredhands quote, you can’t park the truck when you owe the bank $3000.00 a month on truck payment, and insurance and the permits you’ve got that your now not using. It’s amazing all the trucking experts we got here thathave never had a CDL, drove for a company or owned a truck but know all about it.

I have no CDL, but I pull and submit IFTAs, MVRs, payrolls. I ensure the federal filing or form E get done, along with the MCS-90 and BMC-91 or -91x. The MCS-150 if they need help doing it. On top of that submit all the payrolls and revenues to the insurance carriers. I've certainly been involved in payroll audits of transportation companies. All of this is in addition to your normal policy management of equipment and cargo that is. So, I don't claim to be an expert but I sure do see a lot of trucking company financials. Feel free to shoot me your DOT and I'll run your CAB report on your company.

jakeman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
There’s not a driver shortage. There’s a shortage of people willing work for the absolute crap majority of trucking companies out there. I know I drove for 30 years. If you still don’t believe me, pick any of the biggest 25 trucking companies and read the reviews from former drivers. Low pay, consistently get you home late, call you next day wanting you to go back to work. Little to no support while your out on the road. No pay for the time sitting around unless you can meet all the requirements for detention pay which as a company driver is $10 an hour. For max 10 hours. So if you sit at a shipper/receiver for 20 hours, you get $100, and thats before taxes. If you believe there’s a driver shortage, go get a CDL, drive 6 months for Swift or JB Hunt, Werner, Knight, whoever, you’ll sing a whole new tune

So, guys that can drive are not driving?

That's a driver shortage.

Just because they exist doesn't mean there isn't a shortage.

If the fields are full of produce, but nobody is picking it and selling it, there is going to be a produce shortage.

Good grief fellas, how many topics can we all agree on here, but still argue about?

Latest posts

Top Bottom