Theoretical legal question

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Yeti695

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
That's my point though. If the state of NY seeks to strip me of my fundamental right to be secure in person or possessions, then they need to take up that responsibility. That is the axis of my argument. These nanny blue states keep saying that their firearm laws are for our protection, yet when it comes to actively protecting us they refuse. I say its time to force them to either allow for self protection or to protect us directly. Maybe if that aspect was forced into view, the court would rule that the state (regardless of which one) either has to restore the right of self protection for visitors or they have to protect them directly. I would like to visit NY, there are a lot places that are down right beautiful (that is another aspect of West Point I miss, the Highland Falls area is spectacular). However, with today's issues, I won't travel unless I have my sidearm with me. And in several states my sidearm is not allowed (12+1 capacity).

Well as my father would say, suck it up buttercup. They don't care about you, and they like I said before will not go out of their way to make sure you are any more secure or protected than the residence of that state, city or town. All I can say to you is if you want to make a difference than write your Governor, Congressman or woman, and your House of Representative Member. Or better yet throw your name in the hat the next election. Other than that, well, one person, that's not living in that state will ever make a difference. Sorry, just the breaks.

DavidMcmillan

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
My wife was a fifth grade teacher for many years. This sounds like some of the questions her students would ask..."What if I'm walking home and a stranger try's to kidnap me but I run into a building but there is a mean dog in there so I run upstairs but there is a dragon..."

Some questions just cause a person to shake their head and wonder why.

druryj

In Remembrance / Dec 27 2021
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Maybe you ought start here at home. Lots of places have signs, or so I've been told, that say something along the lines of "No Firearms Allowed." I mean, stores and businesses and such. Go tell them you want to shop or patronize their business there, but since you are not allowed to carry a handgun for self-defense despite being legally authorized by the Great State of Oklahoma to do so, that you need them to provide you with an armed bodyguard so you can shop in reasonable safety. Fix it here first, there go national with your movement. Me? Concealed is concealed.

Tanis143

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
My wife was a fifth grade teacher for many years. This sounds like some of the questions her students would ask..."What if I'm walking home and a stranger try's to kidnap me but I run into a building but there is a mean dog in there so I run upstairs but there is a dragon..."

Some questions just cause a person to shake their head and wonder why.

I guess none of you are reading to understand what I'm saying, just reading to argue. I was looking for a legal discussion on what the courts might say, not this "suck it up buttercup" non-sense. This was a THEORETICAL discussion, not something I was planing to do next week. I was looking for a way to force states into a reciprocity. Basically forcing them to allow us citizens to the right of self protection. Since the SCOTUS has been going off precedent instead of actually reading the 2nd amendment, I was looking for another way at the issue.

But I guess so many people here harbor such ill will towards blue states that you can't fathom why someone would go there and you completely missed the point of my topic.

Tanis143

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Maybe you ought start here at home. Lots of places have signs, or so I've been told, that say something along the lines of "No Firearms Allowed." I mean, stores and businesses and such. Go tell them you want to shop or patronize their business there, but since you are not allowed to carry a handgun for self-defense despite being legally authorized by the Great State of Oklahoma to do so, that you need them to provide you with an armed bodyguard so you can shop in reasonable safety. Fix it here first, there go national with your movement. Me? Concealed is concealed.

The difference there is their store is privately held property. I respect their right to make whatever rules they want for that establishment. However, no government should be allowed to deny a citizen the right to keep and bear arms, which is what NY and many other states are doing (or making it so damn hard that its near impossible). Since outright fighting that law didn't work (Thanks SCOTUS) I was just brainstorming a way to force the issue.

Yeti695

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
I guess none of you are reading to understand what I'm saying, just reading to argue. I was looking for a legal discussion on what the courts might say, not this "suck it up buttercup" non-sense. This was a THEORETICAL discussion, not something I was planing to do next week. I was looking for a way to force states into a reciprocity. Basically forcing them to allow us citizens to the right of self protection. Since the SCOTUS has been going off precedent instead of actually reading the 2nd amendment, I was looking for another way at the issue.

But I guess so many people here harbor such ill will towards blue states that you can't fathom why someone would go there and you completely missed the point of my topic.

I gave you a way to try to change the way some states handle things. When you post something of this nature, you are opening the box of what people feel or even their opinions. If something like this can’t be real (and this Theoretical Question that you asked can’t be), than be ready for the opinions, which is all that you can get from a Theoretical Question. If you can’t take the opinions of others, than oyou should have not made this a Theoretical Question, maybe what can we do to get other states to participate in the reciprocity laws of other states. Again I will tell you start with your elected officials. That would be the best and my personal opinion the only place to start. Asking a Theoretical Question about something will get you the response that you obviously didn’t want or was not expecting. I don’t harbor hate towards a whole state, last time I checked a state never did anything to me, but I choose not to go to place where I can’t exercise my constitutional rights.

druryj

In Remembrance / Dec 27 2021
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Our Constitution grants a lot of rights to the individual States. That’s sort of the way it works. The Federal Govt really has no business in forcing a State to comply with an individual’s wishes. Now, if you’d rather have an all powerful Fed and weak state’s, then I guess you could make a point. Theoretically.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Top Bottom