They call us “The Elderly”.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

El Pablo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
And flower shops. People get married and die every day (sometimes at the same time 😉). The old florist I worked for when putting myself thru college said back in his day many families spent more on funeral flowers than weddings. I don't recall exactly what he said but do recall that unscrupulous florists and funeral home directors weren't shy about "reminding" the family that this was gonna be the last memory anyone would have of their loved one and didn't they want to make sure everyone could see how much the deceased was loved by his/her family ...
Yep, I’m buying my mil kudzu. Seems fitting.
Wow, how's that Thesaurus wokin for ya? LOL If you could only see 50 years into your future. Y'all forget that we all get old. Yes, even you and the other kids you play with.
and no, some people get dead well before they get old.

THAT Gurl

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I married up too lol. She’s pushing 50, but looks closer to 30.
I might get beat up for posting pics without permission or worse cut off!

Yeah ... That's a big no-no around here! Of course, Grumpy would actually have to get a pic that's not just a streak -- of me running towards him to beat him with a stick for trying to take my pic in the first place. You, sir, are a man among men. 😉😂😁

Lee Beaittie

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I married up too lol. She’s pushing 50, but looks closer to 30.
I might get beat up for posting pics without permission or worse cut off!
I did as well, robbed mine from the cradle as many have said. I won't tell mines age, she would stop feeding me and, stop with the conjacal visits, Lol,

THAT Gurl

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I did as well, robbed mine from the cradle as many have said. I won't tell mines age, she would stop feeding me and, stop with the conjacal visits, Lol,

I feel like I'm in good company! Grumpy is almost 8 years younger than me. 🤗🤗🤗 He's like 5 months off being a Gen X baby but my God he is the LITERAL embodiment of what is the definition of a Boomer. 🙄🙄🙄 JHFC I could strangle the man in his sleep sometimes. 🙄🙄 (No I wouldn't shoot him -- why waste a bullet?? 😉)

El Pablo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Yeah ... That's a big no-no around here! Of course, Grumpy would actually have to get a pic that's not just a streak -- of me running towards him to beat him with a stick for trying to take my pic in the first place. You, sir, are a man among men. 😉😂😁
Lucky you I don’t have my old phone…

C_Hallbert

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
They call us ”The Elderly”
We were born in the 40-50-60’s.
We grew up in the 50-60-70's.
We studied in the 60-70-80's.
We were dating in the 70-80-90's.
We got married and discovered the world in the 70-80-90's.
We venture into the 80-90’s.
We stabilize in the 2000’s.
We got wiser in the 2010’s.
And we are going firmly through and beyond 2020.
Turns out we've lived through EIGHT different decades...
TWO different centuries...
TWO different millennia...
We have gone from the telephone with an operator for long-distance calls to video calls to anywhere in the world.
We have gone from slides to YouTube, from vinyl records to online music, from handwritten letters to email and Whats App.
From live matches on the radio, to black and white TV, colour TV and then to 3D HD TV.
We went to the Video store and now we watch Netflix.
We got to know the first computers, punch cards, floppy disks and now we have gigabytes and megabytes on our smartphones.
We wore shorts throughout our childhood and then long trousers, Oxfords, flares, shell suits & blue jeans.
We dodged infantile paralysis, meningitis, polio, tuberculosis, swine flu and now COVID-19.
We rode skates, tricycles, bicycles, mopeds, petrol or diesel cars and now we drive hybrids or electric.
Yes, we've been through a lot but what a great life we've had!
They could describe us as “exennials”; people who were born in that world of the fifties, who had an analog childhood and a digital adulthood.
We've kind of “Seen-It-All”!
Our generation has literally lived through and witnessed more than any other in every dimension of life.
It is our generation that has literally adapted to “CHANGE”.
A big round of applause to all the members of a very special generation, which will be UNIQUE.
-Author unknown
Keep on keeping on!
We served our country in VN and came home to an ice cold welcome…..

Chuckie

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The loan on my first house was 17.0%. And, it was a VA loan!

I keep pointing that out to my daughter who gripes about how high her interest rate is and she got in when it was 4.0. I keep telling her that historically rates on mtgs run around 6.5% going way back to about 1900'ish.

I sat her down with an amortization statement and showed her how paying extra principal each month saves you big $$$$$$$ in the end, so you aren't really paying that high rate if you are disciplined about it.

They used to teach this stuff in school. That, and not having to face true hardship for several generations (ours included) is where a lot of our youth's "problems" come from these days. I'm of the opinion that some good old fashioned hardship would go a long way to righting the ship.
Way too many parents of today's kids have done everything they could to make sure that their kids did not have the same hardships they had when they were growing-up.

- Kids feeling 'entitled' is because WE gave them everything we didn't have when we were growing-up.
- Kids not wanting to work is because WE didn't force them to do jobs our parents 'forced' us to do as kids.
- Kids being disrespectful of others is because WE didn't want to punish them like the way we were punished.

Blame today's kids all you want for being 'entitled', lazy, and undisciplined but the actual blame needs to be put on ourselves for allowing most of this to happen, because WE didn't want our kids to be treated like we were treated, as kids.

Foxfire5

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
They call us ”The Elderly”
We were born in the 40-50-60’s.
We grew up in the 50-60-70's.
We studied in the 60-70-80's.
We were dating in the 70-80-90's.
We got married and discovered the world in the 70-80-90's.
We venture into the 80-90’s.
We stabilize in the 2000’s.
We got wiser in the 2010’s.
And we are going firmly through and beyond 2020.
Turns out we've lived through EIGHT different decades...
TWO different centuries...
TWO different millennia...
We have gone from the telephone with an operator for long-distance calls to video calls to anywhere in the world.
We have gone from slides to YouTube, from vinyl records to online music, from handwritten letters to email and Whats App.
From live matches on the radio, to black and white TV, colour TV and then to 3D HD TV.
We went to the Video store and now we watch Netflix.
We got to know the first computers, punch cards, floppy disks and now we have gigabytes and megabytes on our smartphones.
We wore shorts throughout our childhood and then long trousers, Oxfords, flares, shell suits & blue jeans.
We dodged infantile paralysis, meningitis, polio, tuberculosis, swine flu and now COVID-19.
We rode skates, tricycles, bicycles, mopeds, petrol or diesel cars and now we drive hybrids or electric.
Yes, we've been through a lot but what a great life we've had!
They could describe us as “exennials”; people who were born in that world of the fifties, who had an analog childhood and a digital adulthood.
We've kind of “Seen-It-All”!
Our generation has literally lived through and witnessed more than any other in every dimension of life.
It is our generation that has literally adapted to “CHANGE”.
A big round of applause to all the members of a very special generation, which will be UNIQUE.
-Author unknown
Keep on keeping on!
You forgot the Thirties? I'm Appalled. I am a young 86. LOL!

Latest posts

Top Bottom