Think this Trooper 'Jumped the Gun'?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OKCShooter

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The troopers only justification for stopping him was a seal belt violation. Seatbelt violations are a throw in or instead of citation. I doubt that any cop on this board stops any auto with a single passenger solely for a seatbelt violation.

I was pulled over on I-35 (roughly 10 years ago) by a Sheriff and issued a ticket SOLEY for not having on my seatbelt.

He was passing me on my left then slowed down to get behind me and pull me over.

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The troopers only justification for stopping him was a seal belt violation. Seatbelt violations are a throw in or instead of citation. I doubt that any cop on this board stops any auto with a single passenger solely for a seatbelt violation.

Not picking on you S4F, but I've seen a couple of these statements and I have to ask, what's the reason for the stop got to do with officer safety? Once a contact has been initiated I would assume that it doesn't really matter.

As for this specific incident, the guy moved pretty quickly and I can see a draw down for sure. It's a pretty damn thin line as we can all see.

Parks 788

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I see it a bit differently than most. Driver was not particularly smart with his immediate and fast reaction to get his DL. Watching the video he seem more than eager to be accommodating to the officers request. So much so that it almost cost him his life. The LEO is either guilt of being a terrible shot or wasn't trying to kill but to wound to stop. I don't think all the blame goes on the LEO. Both messed up but not to the extent of the LEO facing 20 years in prison. I think the LEO's department is overreacting to this to some degree due to all the recent W on B police shooting lately. I'm glad the guy survived but don't blame the cop as much as others do here.

Shootin 4 Fun

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Not picking on you S4F, but I've seen a couple of these statements and I have to ask, what's the reason for the stop got to do with officer safety? Once a contact has been initiated I would assume that it doesn't really matter.

As for this specific incident, the guy moved pretty quickly and I can see a draw down for sure. It's a pretty damn thin line as we can all see.

Nothing. My post you quoted was in response to a question.

OKCShooter

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Seat belt law has been a primary since 1997. So...bummer dude.

No S$@t, Sherlock.

If you would have sleuthed further you would have seen that it was a direct response to S4F saying that cops don't stop solely for a seatbelt. I was saying that isn't true do to my own experience.

Fantastic detective work, Dude.

Latest posts

Top Bottom