Thinking about a PM9 to replace my 442...

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

alank2

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Hi Everyone,

I belt carry a G19 sometimes and pocket carry a 442 the rest of the time. The truth is that pocket carry is so easy that I pocket carry more than I should, but I have a few places I go where pocket carry is necessary.

I love Glock reliability and durability, but a G26 is just too big for this role. If it weren't, I'd be all over that.

I like the 442, it pocket carries great and is reliable. I've got the trigger what I would call workable for a j-frame. Polishing and a lighter rebound spring make it much better than the heavy weight it comes with from S&W. Even so, I feel that to get accuracy out of it (DAO) I need to double stage it where you pull to rotate the cylinder and then do your final aim and finish pulling to fire. My complaints are: Only 5 rounds, slower reloads, hard to shoot unless you practice a lot, heavy recoil for its ballistics. My other complaint is no fault of the gun, just that I'd like to standardize on 9mm.

But, I can't replace it with something that is unable to fill the same pocket concealment role. So I am looking at the PM9. A few years ago it looked like Kahr was having some issues with these, but lately they seem to be past the issues.

Does anyone have pocket carry experience with these?

What type of pocket holster?

Other thoughts?

Thanks,

Alan

Glock 'em down

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
You'll miss that Airweight Jaybird more than you can fathom.

Trust me on that one! :rolleyes2

I got lucky. My little Jaybird came back home. Yours may never.

It's been my experience that a J frame in the pocket looks like a big bulky...something.

A semi-auto...any semi-auto in the pocket looks like...well...a gun! :ugh2:

As usual, YMMV and good luck. :thumb:

TallPrairie

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Interesting post; I'm considering a PM9 too. For me, it would be for an extra low profile belt carry -- slimmer than my S&W M&P9c.

Concerning pocket carry, I agree with GED. I don't buy the "auto carries better because revolver's cylinder is wide" meme. The cylinder bulge breaks up the angular "gun" outline in the pocket and just makes it look like some junk. My gun pocket looks a lot like my other pocket that has my keys/phone/pen/etc. stuffed in it.

This assumes you use a decent pocket holster.

But a PM9 would be easier to shoot well than my 642, with a bit more ammo capacity, quick reloads, and factory night sight option.

Very tempting.

JD8

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
You won't miss the 442. I didn't. :D Nothing against snubbies, the PM9 just shoots significantly better for me. I'm curious about pocket holsters myself so hopefully someone chimes in. I've tried the uncle mikes and I think it sucks.

mhphoto

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I don't have any experience with PM9s, but I love my CW9. It's been 100% reliable and is ridiculously easy to conceal. Maybe just keep the 442 and get a PM9. See which one you like more.

Michael Brown

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
You won't miss the 442. I didn't. :D Nothing against snubbies, the PM9 just shoots significantly better for me. I'm curious about pocket holsters myself so hopefully someone chimes in. I've tried the uncle mikes and I think it sucks.

Here is where I believe the rub on semi-autos exists.

It is clear that they are more shootable in most formats, although I think improving the factory stocks goes a long way to making the J easier on the shooter.

However I have yet to find a pocket gun that gives better ACCESS in most pants than a J. Access is already the primary weakness of pocket carry so I make that a priority when considering a gun/holster combo.

The PM9 has a tendency to invert itself because of its size and this is completely unacceptable.

I am not a fan of pocket carry as a primary mode however I understand that some NPE's leave folks without a choice.

The P9 may be a different story as a pcoket gun IF it fits your pant and body types but I haven't spent much time trying to pocket carry a P9.

Until I find something that provides better access that a J, it's still my first choice for pocket carry.

Michael Brown

Latest posts

Top Bottom