Thinking about a PM9 to replace my 442...

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JD8

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
MB, what holster were you using with the PM9 and it inverted itself? I hate pocked carry aswell but it's my only choice in certain circumstances or a NPE.

ldp4570

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Hi Everyone,

I like the 442, it pocket carries great and is reliable. I've got the trigger what I would call workable for a j-frame. Polishing and a lighter rebound spring make it much better than the heavy weight it comes with from S&W. Even so, I feel that to get accuracy out of it (DAO) I need to double stage it where you pull to rotate the cylinder and then do your final aim and finish pulling to fire. My complaints are: Only 5 rounds, slower reloads, hard to shoot unless you practice a lot, heavy recoil for its ballistics. My other complaint is no fault of the gun, just that I'd like to standardize on 9mm.

But, I can't replace it with something that is unable to fill the same pocket concealment role. So I am looking at the PM9. A few years ago it looked like Kahr was having some issues with these, but lately they seem to be past the issues.

Does anyone have pocket carry experience with these?

What type of pocket holster?

Other thoughts?

Thanks,

Alan

Practice, practice, and more practice.

You'll miss that Airweight Jaybird more than you can fathom.

Trust me on that one! :rolleyes2

I got lucky. My little Jaybird came back home. Yours may never.

It's been my experience that a J frame in the pocket looks like a big bulky...something.

A semi-auto...any semi-auto in the pocket looks like...well...a gun! :ugh2:

As usual, YMMV and good luck. :thumb:

Never, ever give up a J-frame!!!!

Hi GED,

Well I knew which side you'd be on! :)

Believe me, the J-Frame isn't going anywhere until a suitable replacement proves itself...

Thanks,

Alan

See answer above!!!!!!!!

Interesting post; I'm considering a PM9 too. For me, it would be for an extra low profile belt carry -- slimmer than my S&W M&P9c.

Concerning pocket carry, I agree with GED. I don't buy the "auto carries better because revolver's cylinder is wide" meme. The cylinder bulge breaks up the angular "gun" outline in the pocket and just makes it look like some junk. My gun pocket looks a lot like my other pocket that has my keys/phone/pen/etc. stuffed in it.

This assumes you use a decent pocket holster.

But a PM9 would be easier to shoot well than my 642, with a bit more ammo capacity, quick reloads, and factory night sight option.

Very tempting.

You answered the question for yourself, "PRACTICE"

I don't have any experience with PM9s, but I love my CW9. It's been 100% reliable and is ridiculously easy to conceal. Maybe just keep the 442 and get a PM9. See which one you like more.

I like the last part, P9/K9/CW9 and a J-frame, hard to beat!!

Here is where I believe the rub on semi-autos exists.

It is clear that they are more shootable in most formats, although I think improving the factory stocks goes a long way to making the J easier on the shooter.

However I have yet to find a pocket gun that gives better ACCESS in most pants than a J. Access is already the primary weakness of pocket carry so I make that a priority when considering a gun/holster combo.

The PM9 has a tendency to invert itself because of its size and this is completely unacceptable.

I am not a fan of pocket carry as a primary mode however I understand that some NPE's leave folks without a choice.

The P9 may be a different story as a pcoket gun IF it fits your pant and body types but I haven't spent much time trying to pocket carry a P9.

Until I find something that provides better access that a J, it's still my first choice for pocket carry.

Michael Brown

I've yet to find, anything in this size, that has the capabilities of the J-frame, except maybe a Colt DS, which makes a great backup to a K-frame snub for carry.

stewartglock

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I know that some people hear Taurus and they cringe, but since you are wanting to standardize with 9mm, you might look into the Taurus 709 Slim. It is a pretty slick little gun, and would be another option. Plus I have only heard good things about it.

Hawgman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Over the course of about a year and a half I tried to make the j-frame work for me. 2 different guns and 3 grips later (one of which a laser) I gave up. When I did put a grip on that worked for me it stuck up above my pocket. I’m not a noob so don’t lecture me on grip, stance, blah, blah, blah. I shoot L and N frames very well in DA mode. If I can’t print at least 3 to 4 inch groups rapid fire at 9 to 10 yards the guns not for me for carry.

I sold the j-frame and bought a pm9. I have 2 different pocket holsters. One with a stabilizing flap and one without. Which one I use depends on the shape of the pocket I’m putting it in. The grip is always right there where I need it every time I put my hand in the pocket. I can’t conceive of a way that it would invert and result in the muzzle facing up. It also rides lower in the pocket.

It may be a small thing to some but the increase of 2 more rounds and a lightning quick reload are big plusses to me. I never could see the sights on the j-frame. The pm9 sights are very easy to pick up even during rapid fire. Speaking of rapid fire, at about 9 yards I have no trouble keeping all 7 rounds (8 if using the extended magazine) in a 4 inch circle. And when I’d put the hot self defense .38’s in that 15oz, tiny gripped revolver, it was a real challenge keeping a stabile/secure grip on it.

I like j-frames. I recently bought a 2 1/8” 649 .357mag. All steel, bigger grips, visible front sight. But it aint no pocket carry unless you got a big pocket and don’t mind that much weight in that pocket. When I wear it out working on my property it’s in an OWB pancake holster. It rides beautifully and always has 2 rounds of snake shot and 3 lead .38’s in it. But for pocket carry, the pm9 is perfect for me.

Perplexed

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
just that I'd like to standardize on 9mm.

I missed this part. If you have second thoughts about giving up a J-frame for pocket carry, you might consider a S&W 940. Hammerless J-frame snubby in 9mm, uses moon clips for fast reloads (though you do need to be careful not to bend the clips). They're not too hard to find. I like 'em :)

Pstmstr

AKA Michael Cox. Back by popular demand.
Special Hen Banned
Reaction score
I have both and carry either. I prefer the j frame for pocket carry. It's quicker out of the pocket and less noticeable when it's in it. I carry my pm 9 in a fist iwb where I hardly notices it's there. I like the Nemisis pocket holster for the Kahr and a Mika for the j frame. I shoot the Kahr much better due to both sights and trigger but the j frame isn't bad

gillman7

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have both and carry either. I prefer the j frame for pocket carry. It's quicker out of the pocket and less noticeable when it's in it. I carry my pm 9 in a fist iwb where I hardly notices it's there. I like the Nemisis pocket holster for the Kahr and a Mika for the j frame. I shoot the Kahr much better due to both sights and trigger but the j frame isn't bad

+1, this is me exactly, except I do not carry my Kahr IWB, I use the Desantis Nemesis. Shoot the PM9 a little better for the same reasons.

Have not had any issues with the Kahr angle in my pocket with the Nemesis either.

saddlebum

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
i carried my pm40 in a don hume front pocket holster with no inversion problems, then GmThunder tricked me into trading it for his jframe. he's a sly one ,but i'm onto him now

smokeyokc

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Sir, I have pocket carried a PM9 as a back-up for over 2 yrs now. My opinion is that a PM9 has a better trigger and better sights. I carry my PM9 in a Kytac pockit lockit which is very thin kydex. This holster design is very good and in my opinion the better the holster the easier the carry no matter where it is located on the body. The method has worked very well for me and I have had no issues with inverting or anything else but everybody experiences can be different. Prior to this my back up was a G27 in a pockit lockit. I cant say enough for the holster and the PM9.

The J frame is a great weapon and with practice you should be able to shoot as well as the PM9 but there is something to be said for consistency in caliber. I would encourage you to train the way you plan to fight I think it will make a difference. In other words get your hits DAO.

dhish

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
I’ve pocket carried my PM9 for about 18 months, in both a Nemesis, and Uncle Mike pocket holster. I also experimented with a holster from pocketholster.com, and found it worked best in cargo pants due to the size, but it was stable and easy to pull. The other two are a little tougher to get out, especially seating in a car, but they are more convenient for me to use. I do have a Mitch Rosen IWB, but I rarely use it, though it is the best choice when it comes to presentation speed and comfort. As far as the gun, I agree with everything said about it so far. All of that said, I recently bought a Sig P238, and am finding it a better pocket gun option, both in carry and shooting. I won’t get into the .380 vs 9mm vs etc.

Latest posts

Top Bottom