Thinking of buying a fishing boat

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BReeves

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Been a hundred years since I've owned a boat but thinking fishing would be a good way to give the wife and I some time together. Plenty of lakes close and already have a pickup to haul the thing. Would be looking for a pretty basic fishing boat with an outboard in the $1000.00 to $2000.00 price range. Not interested in something in the fixer-up category and wondering what I should be leery of.

In my younger days I didn't have much smarts and seemed to always have to spend the week working on the boat or motor just to be able to spend a day on the lake. Would like to avoid that situation if possible without spending 5 grand or more for new.

Thoughts?

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I'm a boater, love to fish, and just get out on the lake. I had a go-fast bass boat in the past that would scare one it was so fast, but it cost $50 bucks a day in fuel.

Went without a boat for a couple of years, and missed it. Found a 14' V bottom that I put new bench seats in, added electronics, and gunwale lighting. 20 hp pull start merc and trolling motor. I can run it all over the lake, and put 2 gallons in it at the end of the day.
It runs 23mph with just me in the boat. Caught a ton of fish out of it.

Now, the grandkids are getting old enough that they want to go out, so the v bottom got replaced by a 18.5 Tracker.

I may be interested in selling the 14'

BReeves

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Boat: a hole in the water surrounded by wood into which a man throws money.

Pretty much my past experience which I would like to minimize as much as possible. At least this time I have a place to keep it that is covered. Still hashing all this over and appreciate the feedback.

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
My old 15 foot bayliner mosquito has been the most reliable boat ever.
I have fished out of it for 30 years only parts the engine ever needed were water pump and some fuel line and 1 timing belt. and sparkplugs.
Built in 1975 and the engine is also 1975 a Merc 50Hp outboard 4 cylinder.
Turn key you barely hear the starter turn the engine over and vrooommmm she is running.
I sold it to a friend that needed a boat but like you and many others was not too keen on the money pit.

I took him out in the mosquito and he was sold.
He had it for 3 years and it busted off every time.
When he moved to TX i purchased it back from him..He had it stored nose down and the thing was full of cans and water and leaves.

I had to now rebuild the floor and transom and install new foam That was 300 bucks with me doing all the work.

I finally had to replace all the fuel lines on the engine and she still busts off just fine.

Not for sale.
Just saying there are good reliable boats out there ..My vote is a Mercury.
My most reliable vehicles have been Ford.
More Miles driven on fords with less parts installed onto them.. than even my Nissan's and Toyota's

Of course my Fords were very old and slow and did not make enough power to blow anything up.

Latest posts

Top Bottom