This burns my tail

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RickN

Eye Bleach Salesman
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
View attachment 137745 So my nephew is in the military and has this MAGA sticker on the back of truck window someone approached him and said he needs to take it off so he asked his superiors and that is what they told him. So I guess free speech is only for the far left

He should keep it unless ordered to remove it by the commanding officer.

John6185

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
He should keep it unless ordered to remove it by the commanding officer.
. By the time it gets to the CC it'll be. little too late, he disobeyed his NCOIC and his OIC as well as others with the chain of command and the Commanding Officer is going to nail him for insubordination, failure to obey a direct order, disrespect toward an NCO and Officer, dereliction of duty and whatever else they can come up with. Sometimes you can win but sometimes you can lose in the military-depends on those in supervisory roles.

golddigger14s

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I would like to see the regulation that covers bumper sticker size. Don't have to follow an unlawful order.
BTW who was the "someone" that approached him?
Why did he even ask his superiors? Kind of like asking the store owner if you can carry in his store.

druryj

In Remembrance / Dec 27 2021
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I would like to see the regulation that covers bumper sticker size. Don't have to follow an unlawful order.
BTW who was the "someone" that approached him?
Why did he even ask his superiors? Kind of like asking the store owner if you can carry in his store.

It is in fact prohibited. DOD Directive 1344.10 covers it. As a retired USMC Officer, I understand the regulations and quite frankly, support it.

Military Personnel may and are encouraged to do such as things as vote, contribute, and even have a political bumper sticker. But the reg specifically prohibits members from using their uniform or position for political gain of another through such things as displaying large signs like this on your vehicle. It has long been a tradition in the Armed Services that military members serve the country, not the political powers of the day. It is difficult to explain further without a more detailed lesson on military customs and courtesies, but just read the DOD Directive and understand that servicemen and women are sworn to fight in defense of the nation and that means they really can’t or shouldn’t show over-the-top public loyalty to an individual.

Like I said, I understand the rationale behind this. We don’t fight for President ________, we fight for the NATION; it matters not who sits in the White House as far as giving 100% on the battlefield or in following lawful orders.

The correct procedure if one thinks they’ve been given an unlawful order is generally, follow it, then Request Mast to your Commanding Officer. At least in the Marine Corps, Request Mast was sacred. I was the CO of several different units and my jr officers and NCOs knew right from the start that I insisted that I see a Marine who had requested a formal audience within 24 hours. Additionally, NO REPERCUSSIONS are allowed if an individual requests mast. Now, having said that, if I were to address this issue I would have explained why the huge sign was not allowed, and I would have done so so he would “get it” and we could move on.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

druryj

Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The military is not a democracy, it is a dictatorship. Odd regulations and rules but the pay is better than McDonald's. A lot of people got out because they didn't want to wear a uniform....doesn't McDonald's personnel wear uniforms?

Wrong. Clearly you don’t understand it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

druryj

Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
It has nothing to do with liking or not liking or supporting or not supporting a particular President, or any politician, it has everything to do with removing oneself from individual alliance and aligning your support with that which is bigger than political parties or affiliation. People in the military are encouraged to vote, even that it is not just a right but a responsibility. But they are also taught that once a decision is made, whether it’s how to best attack an enemy position or who won what election, to set yourself aside and just accomplish the mission. I would have followed orders and fought just as hard regardless of who gets elected to what position.

We do not want our military to support just one party or one party line, that leads to coup de’etat or revolt in many places. We as military people MUST obey all lawful orders regardless of who gives them. Otherwise, Generals, not elected officials, would be in charge. That’s what is called a dictatorship.

I really hope everyone who thought this was a bad thing better understands now. It’s not a bad thing, it helps keep the military an impartial arm of diplomacy and power. To the OP: We good on this now? The why?

Last edited:

Latest posts

Top Bottom